Tuesday, September 1, 2015

A Foggy Morning Lock In


6:46
6:45
I have been sitting here for an hour, looking at nothing but gray, the lake locked in by a heavy fog, heavy enough that droplets of water have been falling from the trees.  It's 59º, a dampness to the chill, though it's supposed to get up to the 80's later in the day.  It's tempting to go kayaking, to glide though the fog but I guess I'll wait till it burns off.

Yesterday was uncomfortably warm and humid until around 1:00, when a breeze picked up and the humidity seemed to ebb.  We were not sure of what to do in the morning, thinking kayaking but then decided to add a hike to it as well.  So we kayaked for half an hour, then parked out boats at the Long Point Pavillion, and hiked the woods for another half hour or forty five minutes.  We worried about the heat  but the woods are shady, so it was pleasant enough, only a few insects as we hiked.  On the way home, we met Tom,  a guy we have met kayaking a couple of times.  This time he had his golden retriever in the kayak with him, a beautiful dog, who kept jumping out of his kayak into the water. We met him a few years ago when he recognized us from my blog.  By the time we kayaked home, it was already noon.  So I decided to jump in the lake, to cool off, the waters still clear and cool.  While we were sitting on the dock, a fisherman, a guide actually,  coasted by, with his grandsonm, out for the morning.  We mentioned we had met his father in law when we were having dinner at Steener's Pub, a small world.

When I came in from my swim, Evie had made me a salad of tomatoes, corn, and avocadoes, with and olive oil and vinegar dressing.  Delicious.  I had it along with part of my sub from the Lighthouse and watched another episode of Longmire.  Evie was out on the dock by then and spent much of the afternoon on the lake.  I made it out a couple of times but I do not enjoy sitting in the sun much, at least not when it's in the 80's.  So, I decided to try our neighbors' paddle board, was able to paddle in to our dock and back to theirs but it was too much of a struggle to keep my balance, so I don't think I will be getting one.  It may have been too small, not heavy enough.  I went home, then, Evie still on the dock, and went for a quick kayak paddle, down to Chestnut Hill, where there were at least 20 people on the dock of this Bed And Breakfast, enjoying the lake.  It's a newly renovated old estate home and is now for rent at $500 a day.  It sleeps up to 26 I have heard, so for a large family, it can be a bargain.

We came in around 5:30 to shower because we were meeting Linda and Ron at Pine Junction at 6:30. We drove separately because they wanted to walk Findley Lake, about five miles in circumference before dinner.  On our drive, a hawk flew in front of our car to a tree, so we stopped, backed up and Evie took this neat picture of it, just before it flew away.

A Red Tailed Hawk?  Juvenile?
When we got to Pine Junction, Linda and Ron were already sitting happily at the bar, having a first beer after their walk.  We were able to sit at the bar, across from each other, and Evie and I had burgers, the Mc Clure's the broasted chicken special.  All was good.  On the way out, we ran into a couple we have  gotten to know at the Viking Club, Doug and Dawn, and they were having dinner with their son and daughter who live near Pine Junction.  Interestingly, they have a farm, sell products like eggs, veggies and honey under the name Steady Plow.  In fact, their products are now featured at the new creamery, just up the hill from us, called Reverie.

The Guys, Again
The Blondes, Again
A Nice Touch
We were home by 9:15, in time to watch the increasingly silly Masters of Sex; in this episode, they were called to solve the problem of a Zoo's male gorilla who was showing no signs of interest in the opposite sex.  Libby solved it of course.

Well,  I did not wait for the fog to burn off; it was too tempting to get lost in the grayness.  So I paddled out through a swarm of lake flies but once I got beyond our dock, it was fine.  I paddled up and down our lake front, no sign of life yet though I could hear a boat off in the distance.  I was out for about 30 minutes, then came in and went for a swim, the lake refreshingly cool.  For a moment, I felt like a young boy again. Ah youth.
Fog In The Morning
Reeds

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...