Sunday, November 2, 2014

Snow Fall In Chautauqua County (But Not Woodlawn)

6:57
8:13
Late Fall Snow on Ellery
We both miraculously slept in till just before 7:00 (would have been 8:00 yesterday morning).  Loads of heavy clouds, both dark and light, hang over Long Point, the wind whipping the flag, the lake surface ruffled.  Not a morning for kayaking unless you like ocean kayaking.  It's now 7:40 and we are listening to a review of one of my favorite books, OLIVE KITTERIDGE, a made for TV series which starts tonight on HBO.  It got rave reviews as did the book, so I cannot wait to see it.

Yesterday was about as miserable day as I can remember at the lake, or the kind of day we have much of the winter when it does not snow!  Windy, wet, threatening gray clouds, a wet, cold wind. Just the kind of weather that makes you want to get up and drive to yoga at 9:00, which I did because I really like the new teacher.  I had only been to her class once but she remembered my name when I walked in.  We had about ten people, some there for the first time.  Our teacher likes to have us work in pairs, so we get to know each other some, which is different but kind of nice.  Unfortunately, I was asked to help demonstrate a position which I was uncomfortable trying but I was too chicken to say no.  I managed it, a backward bend, with  Lauren's help which was the point...we sometimes need props/  I felt great after class, stopped at Ryder's for a coffee, then on to Wegman's again, the second time in 15 hours.  I picked up things for tonight's dinner when the McClure's are coming over.
Long Point, late afternoon, by Evie (looks like an Ansel Adams)
When I got home, Evie had continued her obsession with redoing every closet, pantry, refrigerator, freezer, etc.  She had a stack of trash for me, so off I went to see the guys at the Transfer not Transit Station.  Lots of cars, pick ups filled with trash, a busy morning for the guys.  I came home in a light rain, had a lunch of vegetable soup and tuna sandwiches, looked for something fun to watch on the TV but couldn't find anything and who wants to watch the Maryland/Penn State football game unless, like our neighbors, you are a Penn State fan.  So, I helped Evie some with her rearranging and throwing out, and we finally took the air conditioner out of our bedroom window.  Evie has agreed we probably will not have a heat spell.  Now we are ready for winter.  I relaxed, what else, the rest of the afternoon, making some Turkish tea, reading my book, THE HUSBAND'S SECRET, taking a brief nap before deciding to walk the Woodlawn/Victoria woods around 4:45 in the snow flurries.  I couldn't resist the temptation to walk in the snow even if it did not stay on the ground. It felt great to feel the snow hitting my face, the crispness of the air, a harbinger of the winter to come.

We had dinner made so we listened to Garrison Keeler, with a couple glasses of wine and cheese and watched the snow flurries, glittering in the the gaze of our flood light.  Just like the old days, when we would drive up on weekends from Hudson, hurry to cut the lawn or mulch the leaves, so we could have a drink and listen to Garrison on NPR.  Last night was his annual joke show, fun because the jokes are often so stupid they are funny.  We didn't eat until around 7:00, one of my favorite pasta sauces, with eggplant and mushrooms.  Evie first started making this back in the 1970's when we lived in Turkey.  The Turks love eggplant, have hundreds of recipes for using it and this was one we picked out.  We watched some junk TV, not much on Saturday night until 10:00, when we watched a Saturday Night Live from ten years ago.  It was mediocre but we did enjoy listening to Adele, her first time on SNL.  We went up to read and did not fall asleep until 11:30, knowing we would gain and hour.
Morning From Our Geranium Window Seat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...