Saturday, November 22, 2014

Pasta Dinner In Euclid at Holzheimer's, Lots of Nieces and Nephews, On to Oak Park

Our Cardinal
My Sister Linda and Her Husband, Rich
Sky Line Of Cleveland At Dusk
It's 6:30, and I am sitting in the darkness of Lake Erie, waiting for some sunlight to appear, to light the day.  We are in Euclid, Ohio, staying at my sister Linda's home, about a mile from where I grew up.  As usual, I am the only one up at this hour but Rich, my brother in law will be up soon, as he's an early riser as well, enjoys the quiet of dawn, especially here on Lake Erie.

Yesterday began with our decision that we were going to Euclid, early afternoon, Oak Park, IL, on Saturday morning, weather forecasting be damned.  So, though we were both up early, we had lots to do even though we were doing 'lots' to prepare for our trip for a couple of days.  I decided I needed some yoga, so I took off for Lakewood at 9:00, on a snowy morning though the roads were fine.  Like last week, I was the only one in class, the weather having scared everyone else away, so I had personal attention from Courtney.  We went through the usual class but she helped to make sure I was doing everything right, or as right as I can make it.  I feel bad that I am the only one in class, that she has to stay for me, but she doesn't seem to care which is nice.  I was home by 11:30, and Evie had been busy, as four or five bags were sitting in our hallway, ready to be packed.

We were not living until 2:00, so I figured we had plenty of time.  We had soup and toasted cheese for lunch, watched some Stewart and Colbert, then got serious about getting ready. We packed the car, closed up the house, checked numerous lists to make sure everything was done, closed the door, zipped up our canvas and we were on our way at 2:00, as scheduled!
The Cooks Welcome Us 
The roads were fine, no snow, and the sun even came out when we neared Euclid, so bright in the western sky that I needed my sunglasses.  We got to Euclid around 4:15 and unpacked quickly, one bag a piece.  Linda and Rich had also been busy, as we could smell the huge pot of pasta sauce simmering on the stove, piles of meatballs and Italian sausage, sitting next to it on the counter.  That's the way to end a drive, walking into a house filled with the smell of food cooking.  Rich then built a fire in their living room, and we relaxed and talked until about 5:30 when their kids and grandchildren started stopping over, after work or school.  Linda had mentioned we would be in town and invited them over for some drinks and appetizers.

Nieces and Nephews - Courtney, Kirsten, Kevin
Another Nephew, Patrick
Kevin and Son Dan, a Junior at Villa Angela/St Joe
Evie and the Girls, Sophie and Emily
More Girls, Grace, Sophie, and Emily
So, by 6:00, there were thirteen of us, enjoying the appetizers and  drinks.  It's always fun to see their family and its rare because they are usually so busy that when we do come to Euclid, they are usually off at a game or practice. Anyways, it was great to see them, Evie took lots of pictures, and they stayed until about 7:00.
Pasta Dinner
With My Nephew Richie
We ate around 7:30 I think, and Richie, their son who lives in the neighborhood, stayed for dinner because his wife had taken their son to a soccer tournament in Dayton.  I guess there are no soccer teams nearby.  Dinner was great, of course, great meatballs, sausage and of course the sauce was delicious, made by the maestro, Rich, and simmered for hours.  We had spumoni for dessert, reminding all of us of having eaten with our parents at a couple of restaurants in Little Italy when we
were young, the Golden Bowl and Ronzini's, both long gone.  We stayed up talking, sitting around the fireplace until about 10:30, then we all went up to bed, tired from day, of driving for us, cooking for Linda and Rich.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...