Thursday, June 19, 2014

Listening To The Rhythm Of The Falling Rain


Last Breakfast Until Fall
6:55 
It's 7:15, overcast, raining gently, the lake pockmarked by the rain drops.  A large pontoon boat, filled with Amish, the guys bearded, the women in their long dresses and caps, floated by the docks, tossing their lines under each dock piece.  I have been up since 6:20, and am sitting our on our porch, listening to NPR on my mom's old radio, the sounds of martins fill the air accompanied by the falling rain on the roof.  A perfect morning actually, as I like the rain, the calmness of it, the solitude.  By the way, there were heavy thunderstorms in the area again last night, and we got over a half an inch of rain so far.
Amish Fishing, Early Morning
Yesterday, we were both up early, got some things done before yoga class, which gets in the way some mornings.  Like today, where I just realized I have breakfast in forty five minutes, then yoga, then some shopping so I won't get much done till the afternoon.  At yesterday's yoga, we had a new teacher, our previous one moving to Colorado.  I have met her before because she has been around but I was surprised when we, the various students walked in, and she remained hooked on her iPhone, neither greeting nor talking to any of us.  So, we talked among each other, waiting for her to begin.  Class, however, was fine and she introduced us to a couple of new ways of doing things, which I always enjoy.  I stopped at Ryder's Cup, then the bookstore to see if the new book about Jamestown, which came out early last week was available.  This is the third time I have checked and The Beaten Path Bookstore still has not been able to get it though there seems to be lots of interest.  Poor marketing.
After Ryder's, I went to Sam's to pick up a rotisserie chicken, some veggies, for dinner the next couple of nights.  We find that their chickens are enough for a couple of meals, even lunch.

When I got home, Evie had made a ginger/vegetable soup, using a chicken broth with ginger in it.  She added noodles, along with veggies and chicken, and we had an easy, but tasty soup for lunch.  I had toasted cheese to go along with the soup, with jam spread on it, of course, my style.  Much of the afternoon, Evie spent finishing her book on the dock, or in the yard.  I watched some soccer, read, took a nap and around 4:00, went for a long kayak paddle, on an increasingly windy lake.  I also fished some but had no luck.  When I returned, Evie had cut the lawn, making it look like something out of House Beautiful.  To reward ourselves for our efforts, we sat out on the dock with an icy beer, some hummus and crackers, and enjoyed the late afternoon, a perfect way to end the day.

For dinner, we had chicken, sweet potatoes and an Asian cole slaw, also from Sam's, and the dinner tasted really good to Evie.  We watched a couple of more episodes of Orange Is The New Black, and as I have mentioned, neither of us like this season much though the critics seem to think it's great.  One of us is wrong.  We went to bed with rain on the roof, some thunder and lightning but nothing too scary.

I am off to breakfast, in the rain, and Evie's still sleeping, enjoying a good night's rest.  I wish I could sleep in as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...