Saturday, June 28, 2014

A Warm, Hazy Sunny Morning

5:42--'Gentlemen, Start Your Engines'
6:02
Well, it was 5:30 in the morning and I thought I was at the opening of the Indianapolis 500, the loud speaker blaring The Star Spangled Banner, then the roar of the engines, bass boats, not cars.  Then, they were off, perhaps 50 or more boats, racing to get to that sweet spot.  I got up, made some coffee, went outside and the boats were still emptying out of the Long Point Marina Bay.  A big fishing day at the lake, we will have to check out the final weigh in tomorrow afternoon.  It's 64ยบ, and a great weekend ahead, a boating sort of day, with temperatures in the 80's.

Yesterday was a warm, humid day even though it remained in the high 70's, at least here at the lake.  It was The Fault In The Stars kind of day, as I finished the book, and Evie started and finished it all in one day, a record.  Besides that, I did manage to make it to yoga early, at 8:15, the typical Friday morning class of two, kind of depressing I would think for  Courtney.  When I  got home, Evie had already starting cooking for the family visit in three weeks, as six pounds of ground chuck was used to make my sister Linda's famous sloppy Joe recipe.  Yum.  And Evie was already on the dock, reading in the morning, unusual for her.  No futbol yesterday, so I ate lunch and watched the highlights of yesterday's NBA draft, one in which the Cavs picked Andrew Wiggins, a freshmen who played for my son Tom's favorite college team, Kansas.  Let's hope he's productive.
A Purple Martin Dad
I joined Evie on the dock, finished the book and started another, LEAVING CHEYENNE, by Larry Mc Murtry of LONESOME DOVE fame.  I heard Don Imus talking about McMurtry on his TV show a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned that LEAVING CHEYENNE, was his favorite McMurtry book, so I decided to try it. Now I am in the world of a young rancher in Texas after having spent a couple of days among cancer patients, the joy and sadness of books, which can take you anywhere. Mid afternoon, we both took a respite from the sun and reading.  I went out for a kayak paddle, fished some with no luck, of course and Evie cut the lawn, twice, once north to south, the second time, east to west.  It looks like something out of Home and Garden.  We then relaxed in the yard and porch, and Evie finished the book, without major tears, unlike the sentimental me.

Our neighbor's daughter, Kris arrived around 6:00, from Portland, Maine, with her family and their dog, Maggie, a black labrador, so we went over and said aloha and watched both the dogs and kids frolicking in the lake, no more than a half hour after they arrived.  I think they were all excited to get back to the lake.  For dinner, we had sloppy joe's, with dill pickles and a salad, tasty as always and always a surprise at how much we enjoy this sandwich.  We watched a new TV pilot called TYRANT, a rip off on both HOMELAND and THE GODFATHER.  The son of a Middle East dictator,  a pediatrician living in the US for twenty years, returns home and finds himself in the middle of a power struggle, as his father dies, his brother is injured in a car accident, leaving a power vacuum.  I have a feeling we are not going to stick with this series for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...