Thursday, June 26, 2014

An Overcast Sky, A Misty Morning

5:58
6:35
Evie and I are both up at 6:00, to a damp morning, trees dripping moisture, from yesterday's rains, with more to come today.  It's 64ยบ this morning, more rain later (good futbol watching weather), but clearing over the weekend, getting very warm again on Saturday.

Yesterday was mostly overcast and wet until mid afternoon, but then it clouded up again and rained, a good day to stay inside, get things done, and read, read, read or watch the World Cup on and off, which I did.  The morning for me began with yoga, our new guru Jen, and believe it or not, I was one of three guys in a class of six.  Class was good, and I even worked up a sweat because Jen has us doing some more vigorous asanas, which is good.  It was very humid in the studio, however, making it uncomfortable at times though we have fans (no air conditioning).

When I got home, Evie had done all the bedding from our visitors bedroom, the bedrooms all ready for kids in a couple of weeks.  Nothing like fresh sheets, a clean room, for a welcome.  Neither one of us was of much use the rest of the afternoon.  About 1:00, however, Evie decided to ask our neighbors, the Leonards over for dinner.  We had not yet had them over and their kids are arriving tomorrow, so we both thought it would be a good time to have them over.  So what looked like a lazy afternoon for Evie turned into one of getting another dinner ready for guests.  We were having chicken picata, so she was able to get lots of the prepping done before they arrived, and even enjoyed reading outside for an hour or so before it rained.  I did the usual, washing and drying the dishes as Evie prepped, then watched some futbol, then decided to go for a bike ride in Bemus.  As I threw my bike in the car, it started to rain but I thought it would stop.  It did not, as I sat in the car in Bemus for 15 minutes waiting for a break that never came.  So I drove home, did some reading and by then, it was 6:00, time for the Leonards to come over.

Dinner With Our Good Neighbors, Bill and Joyce
We enjoyed a class of wine before dinner, talking about the coming of both of our families in the next month,  a busy time for both of us.  Dinner was great, the picata tender and lemony, and with rice, roasted cauliflower, and a poppy seed and strawberry salad;  Bill even had seconds, with a bowl of gelato for dessert.  Needless to say, we all enjoyed the dinner.  The Leonards stayed till about 8:45, as we sat talking at the dinner table until then.  After they left, Evie and I did the dishes, then sat in the living room talking and surfing the Net until time for bed, a fun night.

I am reading the tear jerking THE FAULT IN OUR STARS, the young adult novel and now hot movie at all the theaters (my granddaughter Hayden Bissell loved the book and the movie).  I can see why its so popular to teens, as it combines a love story with young cancer patients, both attractive and funny and acutely aware of their conditions, especially its effects on family and friends.  It is worth reading if you don't mind the tears.  I recently heard John Green the author talk about writing the book, how he was often in tears as he wrote it.

1 comment:

  1. I guess you didn't go hear Elizabeth Strout. I was hoping you would go...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...