Wednesday, June 11, 2014

A Dash Of Rain, Overcast and Gray, More Rain To Come

8:18

6:48
Both Evie and I were up around 6:00, another quiet morning on the lake, a single fishing boat out in the distance.  The sky is overcast, a slight breeze, no color to speak, a touch of rouge at the skyline where the sun ought to be. It feels humid already at 64º, high to get near 80.

Yesterday was a not so fun day, starting at 7:40 at the dentist office, where Evie had some major oral surgery, which, unfortunately, will force her to lay low for a couple of weeks.  With ice packs and drugs, she had a tolerable day.  So most of the  day, I did little other than make sure Evie was as comfortable as possible.

Fortunately, I am into a good book, a series by George Pelecanos following failed TV salesman Nick Stefanos, now a fledgling PI.  I am on the second book, all set in the Washington, DC, area in the1970's and 1980's.  I have read a couple of his later books, and he's the master at creating that time period, especially the music and sports and politics.  At the moment, the DC mayor, not mentioned (Marion Berry), is being arrested for cocaine use.

Around 4:00, I went outside looking for something to do in the yard.  I found the seeds I bought earlier in the spring, arugula and holy basil, so I found some empty window boxes and filled three of them, two with arugula, one with holy basil, which I would use with Thai food.  I rarely have much luck with this sort of thing so I will just hope for the best.

Late afternoon, I did go out kayaking, tossing my fishing line fruitlessly under the docks, getting nary a bite.  And I spent 15 minutes talking to my neighbor, David Jones, at the end of his dock.  Dave is a friend of George H.W. Bush and is off to Maine to help celebrate his 90th birthday.  CNN is doing a special documentary on Friday night called 41ON41.

For dinner, I had Gio's barbecue, leftover from Saturday night's dinner, so tasty with coleslaw.  Evie came downstairs, watched TV with me, and had her vegetable soup, blended with crackers, her first food of the day.  It was a good sign that she was downstairs for a couple of hours, the pain and swelling under control.  We both went to bed  around 10:30, and I read some before turning off the light.

I was ready to go to yoga this morning, to start my routine again, but a message just came up canceling class as the new teacher was not feeling well.  The best laid plans of mice and men...so I will take it easy for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...