Saturday, July 2, 2011

Strangely Quiet Saturday Morning

Skier at Dawn
I was up at 5:30, set the sprinkler out for ten minutes, then went out on the dock for my coffee, to watch the sunrise over Long Point.  A single skier flew by and I was able to shoot him with my camera, with the sunrising in the background.  Evie's up, playing Words with Friends, and I am listening to my favorite Saturday morning NPR program, Only a Game, a sports program with a non traditional format.  Some things rarely change.

We may get rain this afternoon, I just hope that if it does come, the storms will not be too intense, as they were in Chicago yesterday, with 80 mile an hour winds.  It's a cool morning, about 57 when I got up, even a bit chilly as I sat on the dock with a tee shirt.

We watched The Company Men last night, with a great cast, Ben Afflect, Tommy Lee Jones, and Chris Cooper.  Unfortunately, it was filled with cliches, ridiculous and easy to foresee events, so I didn't even watch the end, it was so predictable.  A contemporary theme, wealthy executives losing their jobs, then their Porsche's and homes, seemed like an interesting premise, but there was little insight into the characters and everything was predictable and extreme, from Afflect working for his brother in law building houses, to the end, where he ends up starting a new company.

Hal Borland's journal entry today is on yarrow, sometimes called milfoil, found along side roads but in our garden, it's one of my favorites plants, especially the creamy ivory colored flower, 'with a peculiar pungency of its crushed leaves and stems.'  The Greeks first discovered its medicinal virtues, actually Achilles discovered it, but forgot them when most needed.  It's a 'treatment for wounds, a powerful tonic and stimulant as well as flavoring for mixtures.'  Mostly, though, it's a weed along the roadside, 'a wild bouquet.  I wonder if our garden variety of yarrow is the same that's found along the roads in the East?

It's warming up, with gray clouds off in the distance,  and I wonder how long we will last on the dock before jumping in the water and pulling more weeds, our task for the day, as usual.

Ellen and Walt should be on their way to Linda and Rich's, as should Brooks and Julia.  We cannot wait to see the Bottiny's and Holzheimers tomorrow in Euclid!  It looks like a beautiful day as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...