Sunday, July 24, 2011

An INCH OF RAIN LAST NIGHT---There is a God!

Finalizing the New Photo Album
I woke up at 5:00, came downstairs, walked outside to find our walk was damp.  I figured, as usual, we got a spot of rain and it was too dark to tell how much, even though I walked out on the dock as well, so I went inside, got my coffee, computer, and started my morning perusal of the Wall Street Journal, NYTimes, Hurriyet (Turkish) and the Washington Post, as well as Facebook updates, then The Daily Beast.  When it became light, I went outside, checked how the ditches I filled in with stones handled the water and checked the rain gauge.  To my utter surprise, it measured 1 inch!  Hallelujah...my prayers, my skepticism, was squashed by the rain gods.  Maybe I won't have to water the new lawn for a couple of days.  And now, maybe, we can take a shower occasionally (3 minutes only), wash dishes and clothes...what most of us take for granted with city water and sewer.  Alas, we are dependent on our well, never a problem so far, but if it doesn't rain for four weeks, you have to wonder how much water it holds.

I forgot to mention yesterday we watched another prep school film called THE EMPERORS CLUB, reminiscent of DEAD POETS SOCIETY.  Set at a beautiful prep school in the states (Emma Willard and Union Theological Seminary), it traced the life and influence of a history teacher, played by Kevin Kline.  Lots of cliches, silly situations, especially the bad boy who the history teacher tries to save.  The virtue of the movie is that 'he fails,' but only this one boy.  He saves numerous others and that's the beauty of the movie, the epiphany he has at the end of the film.  It was much better than what I first thought, and worth seeing.  Kline is amazingly good and it does get some things right about prep schools, especially if you can ignore the cliches.

Today we finalize the house, get ready for Beth and her family's arrival, perhaps cut some weeds, do some final shopping and let the fun begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...