Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Tuesday in Sunny Scottsdale

Dusk in Dad/Dots Back Yard

It's almost 7:00 and I have been up since 6:00, having slept in till then, even though it's 9:00 Chautauqua time.  It's a beautiful morninng (I think they are all beautiful mornings here in Scottsdale), in the low 60's, set rising to my right as I sit out side on their patio.  Everyone else is asleep and it's very quiet here, the only sound the cooing of the pigeons (?), an occasional car, and a couple of bikes that just rode by on the trail along the water way in Dads backyard.  There have been lots of pigeon sized birds (they are quails, so I have learned) in the backyard, scrounging for scraps that Dot leaves out as well as a number of sparrow like birds hoping around and chirping, a morning chorus.   Perhaps they are guinea hens, as they have this Elvis type curl on the top of their heads.  It's great looking out at the hills to the north, lit by the sun this early, with tuffs of green growing on the brown slopes.  From where I sit, I really cannot see a house, on the tall grass beyond their fence, then off in the distance, the rising slopes of the mountains that fill the sky from left to right.  A nice way to wake up in the morning, to go to sleep at night.

I helped Dad with his work bench yesterday, which means I stood around and found tools for him.  He's putting a fluorescent lamp on his workbench so he can see better and he's making it so he can move it around the garage and still have light.  Evie and the girls went out to Costco yesterday afternoon, to finalize the granite and tiles for Dot's kitchen.  I think they have hit on a back splash they all like. I just hope Dot does as it's pretty hard to stand up and say what you like with two Petkovsek sisters in tow.  They stopped at Costco, picked up a chicken and a  case of Corona for the week, so we are set for the afternoon heat.  Nothing like a cold beer for a sundowner.  

Getting dinner ready


It was hard staying up till 10:00 last night, as it was 1:00 Chautauqua time but at least I slept in till 6:00.  Today, I am not sure of our plans, perhaps a visit to Taliesin, Frank Lloyd Wright's Scottsdale home and school, some more work in the garage, perhaps wash some windows, and hit the pool.  We'll just have to see what the day brings.  I have to admit its really nice waking up to the sun, sitting outside in their backyard, enjoying my coffee, the view, the silence, and the warmth.  So different from the past month of Chautauqua rain and gray.  I suppose the Scottsdalites get tired of sun and blue skies after awhile and long for clouds, rain and gray.  Perhaps.

I hope to go for a walk when the other's get up before it's too hot.  I wish Bella or Cody or Coco were here so I could take them for a walk.  They would love it, mostly a trail through the fields that follow each side of the water way.

Laura and I just walked a loop, around the aquaduct, about 45 minutes on a trail through typical desert brush, stones, and rocks, then hit Albertson's for milk, wine and a ball cap, as I left mine in KC.  Got a bargain on a Budweiser hat, just what I didn't want, but it was half price.  Still cool sitting out here on the patio, enjoying the view, with a nice breeze. As I said, I could get used to this for a few weeks.  Watch out Dad and Dot!

Laura and Dot went off to Lowe's to look at more tiles, and Evie and I stayed behind, washing down the porch furniture, the porch, cleaning the fans, listening to Ed tell stories of the old days at Lincoln Electric.  We had lunch around 1:00, chicken salad, hummus, and fruit and then I took a power nap, about 15 minutes.  We may go swimming depending on whether the pools open.  It's still pleasant outside on the porch, with a nice breeze.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...