Thursday, September 3, 2026

Late Evening Thunder And Lightning


6:10

6:24

7:38

It's 6:28 and I am waiting for it to get a bit lighter before I kayak. The sky is gorgeous, mostly heavy clouds with a vast streak of light over the eastern shore. Late last night, it rained an inch, but the thunder and lightning were amazing.

Kayak Morning

South

North

Looking Towards Woodlawn

North

Some Blue

Great Blue Heron

Same Guy

Yesterday began with a whimper because it rained much of the morning so I never got out for a paddle. It was strange to sit in my living room for a couple of early-morning hours without getting out on the lake. Evie and I listened to the radio, wrote the blog, and got ready to do something. Evie had an appointment with a hearing aid specialist in Falconer, and I made up a reason to go into Lakewood to pick up prescriptions at Wegmans. Evie left at 10:00, and I didn't leave until 10:30 because I wanted to get a few things done around the house. Fortunately, when I stopped at Ryder's Cup, three of my friends were sitting on the front porch and I was able to pull up a chair and talk with them for a good half hour. They are all retired like me and have nothing better to do in the morning than get a coffee.

The Regulars 

After coffee, I stopped at Ollie's, a store that discounts just about anything, to check on prices for coffee pods for a Keurig but left without getting anything. I wanted to see what the mall looked like, so I walked through the Samurai restaurant, still open, and walked down the practically empty mall, with only one or two stores left. Sad making. I then drove to Wegmans, picked up my prescription and a few other things, and drove home, pulling into our park area just as Evie returned from her appointment.

She was frustrated because they were unable to help her adjust her hearing aids and told her they weren't what she needed, but they had a pair that would fit her for 4500 bucks. I had a chicken pot pie for lunch, easy, and watched a show. Then I read and napped, and neither of us did much the rest of the afternoon. Around 4:30, however, Evie put together our dinner: salmon, spinach, and rice. We then had a glass or two of wine, and when we were hungry, dinner was already done. It hit the spot, as my Mom used to say, and we watched a couple of shows. 

Stormy Weather

Last Night's Lightning at 10:30

Around 10:30, I sat out on our front porch for a half hour and watched the lightning light up the sky every five seconds. It was amazing to watch as well as hear, the occasional thunder and rain hitting the roof. I finally went to bed at 11:00, and it was still lighting up the sky.

As of September 2, 2026, CBS News identifies at least 20 senior military and civilian defense leaders who have been fired, forced out, or departed since former Fox News Host Pete Hegseth became defense secretary.

Senior military leaders

LeaderPositionWhat happened
Gen. Charles Q. Brown Jr.Chairman, Joint ChiefsFired by Trump in Feb. 2025
Adm. Lisa FranchettiChief of Naval OperationsRelieved by Hegseth Feb. 2025
Gen. James SlifeAir Force Vice ChiefPushed out by Hegseth Feb. 2025
Gen. Timothy HaughNSA Director/CYBERCOM commanderFired Apr. 2025
Lt. Gen. Jeffrey KruseDefense Intelligence Agency directorOusted Aug. 2025
Vice Adm. Shoshana ChatfieldU.S. representative to NATO Military CommitteeRelieved Apr. 2025
Vice Adm. Nancy LacoreNavy Reserve chiefRelieved Aug. 2025
Rear Adm. Milton SandsNaval Special Warfare commanderRelieved Aug. 2025
Gen. David HodneArmy Transformation & Training commanderRemoved Apr. 2026
Maj. Gen. William GreenArmy chief of ChaplainsRemoved Apr. 2026
Gen. Randy GeorgeArmy Chief of StaffAsked to retire immediately Apr. 2026
Gen. James MingusArmy Vice Chief of StaffForced into early retirement
Gen. Christopher DonahueArmy Europe & Africa commanderForced into early retirement
Gen. David AllvinAir Force Chief of StaffRetired early; Pentagon reportedly planned to ask him to leave
Adm. Alvin HolseySouthern Command commanderRetired early
Lt. Gen. Jennifer ShortSenior military assistant to Defense SecretaryLeft position Feb. 2025
Lt. Gen. Joseph Berger IIIArmy Judge Advocate GeneralFired Feb. 2025
Lt. Gen. Charles PlummerAir Force Judge Advocate GeneralFired Feb. 2025

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...