Monday, September 21, 2026

A Southwestern Morning Sky

6:53

6:52

6:48

6:47

6:34

It's 8:44, and we're both sitting around, watching the constantly changing lake sky. I was up around 6:20 and was fortunate to catch a spectacular sky before sunrise. I waited until 7:15, when the sun began to rise, and then went out for a paddle on a very algae-filled lake. It was a long, 75-minute paddle across to Long Point, then south to Tom's Point and home. My kayaking friends had mentioned on Saturday that they'd seen five eagles along Tom's Point, but when I turned the corner, there wasn't an eagle, osprey, or heron in sight. On my way back, however, I did see a heron and a mallard.

Kayaking Along Long Point

Bemus Bridge

Kayaking Towards Tom's And Prendergast Points

Mallard

Heron

Sunday was another day of football, like most Sundays in autumn. It began with a decent paddle, then writing and publishing the blog, all before Evie woke. It was great to see her sleep in, and her knee seems better each day, which is encouraging. We sat around until 10:00, thinking about what we might need for dinner over the next couple of days. We also found a knee brace recommended by ChatGPT that was available at CVS, since the brace the hospital gave her keeps sliding down and is much too big. So around 10:30, I drove into Jamestown and bought CVS's last knee brace. After that, I stopped at a very busy Wegmans and picked up what we needed for the next few days. I forgot the beer and wine, though.  Probably because I wanted to remember to stop at Jeremy's for corn near Hogans. There was none left, so I drove up to Stedman Corner, then to the farm down the road, and found none at either. I went home empty-handed.

When I got home, Evie had been busy in the kitchen, making her famous veggie soup and getting things better organized. For lunch, I had the leftover fried rice and lamb chop and watched the Steelers/Patriots game. I had enough after the first half and went upstairs to read and nap. The rest of the afternoon went quickly, as neither of us did much other than sit around, scroll on our phones, or watch TV. Evie did have long talks with both Beth and Jill, and by 5:00 we were ready for a glass of wine.

For dinner, our neighbor Pat had cleaned out her freezer when she left, so Evie pulled out Pat's ham loaf, made it into ham balls, and baked them with a brown sugar syrup. We'd had them before at Pat and David's and really liked them. Along with mashed potatoes, they made us happy in front of the TV. I watched some of the Sunday night game between the Chiefs and Colts but went up to bed at halftime, tired from doing very little all day.

From my former student Rex:

Yom Kippur (Day Of Atonement)


To those I have wronged,

I ask forgiveness.


To those I may have helped,

I wish I had done more.


To those I neglected to help,

I ask for understanding.


To those who helped me,

I thank you with all my heart.


G'mar Chatima Tovah

May you be sealed in the Book of Life


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...