Thursday, November 17, 2016

On To Effingham And "Post Truth' Is 'Word Of The Year'

6:35
We are up early, 5:45, ready for our Thanksgiving trip, to KC, Dallas, and home. When I looked outside, I was greeted by a heavy fog.  This is the third time in a year that we have made this drive so it's becoming second nature to us.

Yesterday was something different weather wise, a dreary day with occasional drizzles.  We spent most of the day inside as a result, getting ready for our trip.  I did make it to yoga, my last class for awhile, perhaps until the New Year as I am getting tired of it.  Perhaps this is a good time to take a break.  After class, I stopped at the bank,  tried to clear up some problems (they don't seem to have me listed), but to no avail.  I am not going to worry about it.  I can use my debit card and they take and give out my money.  I then stopped briefly at Wegman's and the main road was again down to one lane, a pain to say the least.  I went home the back way through Ashville, which was easy.

When I got home, Evie was busy, organizing, deciding, and packing, with brief respites to watch some TV to keep her spirits up...she hates packing up for a trip.  I bought a piece of pizza from Wegman's, so that was my lunch, along with some veggie soup.  We watched some TV together, a change before adjourning to our various tasks, finishing up our packing and putting everything carefully into my IKEA bag.  Love it for traveling.  Evie chose, this time, to use a traditional suitcase.
Around 4:00, I drove to Hogan's to fill up the Outback, getting it ready for a 580 mile drive over the next two days.  It's nice to have a fairly new car I have to admit.  By 5:00, our bags were packed and were in our Subaru, ready for our trip so we could relax and sit down with a glass of wine and listen to the pundits diss Trump for having a private dinner at Club 21.  I guess I am going to have to put up with this unless I change channels.

We had an easy dinner, home fries, bagels, eggs and a salad, a good send off meal.  It was pitch dark by the time we ate as it gets dark after 5:00 these days.  We watched some TV, not wanting to start a series and went to be early because we have a long day ahead of us today, probably nine to ten hours to Effingham although we gain an hour.  We are looking forward, however, to eating at our Texas Steak House, right next to our Inn (it used to be a Hampton).  Then a Delta Inn, now Best Western.

POST TRUTH: The annual awards go to words that "reflect the passing year in language," and sometimes different words get picked for the U.K. and the U.S. This year, however, post-truth — meaning "relating to or denoting circumstances in which objective facts are less influential in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief."  How perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...