Thursday, November 3, 2016

A Sad Day For Cleveland Fans


Kayaking Wednesday Morning

Kayak Afternoon

7:55 AM
It's dark and raining as I begin writing this and I feel guilty for admitting that I missed the end of the Indians game, giving up on them in the seventh when they were behind by a couple of runs.  O, ye, of little faith.  So I had to read about their comeback and eventual loss in the 10th after a rain delay, ending a great season for both teams.  At least now we can get back to politics non stop, without the interruption of baseball games!

Paddling Towards Long Point
Yesterday was another unseasonably warm fall day, making it perfect for getting outside and doing something.  So I began my day with a kayak paddle, heading off to Long Point around 8:00, to check out the placing of huge rocks around the point to stop erosion.  It's much more thorough than I thought, as they have worked up the shore on both sides for 20 or 30 yards.

Setting Rocks To Protect The Shoreline
The sky was amazing, as the sun was peaking in and out of the clouds, lighting up the Woodlawn shore.  What a great way to start the morning.

The Late Fall Colors Of Woodlawn
When I  got home, I had to hustle to make it to yoga at 10:00.  It was another good class as Jen always seems to come up with something different.  This time it was various stretches for our calves, not the usual hamstrings.  Afterwards, I picked up a coffee, dropped a package off at the UPS outlet and drove home, hoping it wasn't going to rain.  And it didn't although the weather app predicted rain in the afternoon.  When I got home, Evie had been busy making lentil soup and rewashing our windows, as yesterdays washing left streaks.  Because I thought it might rain, I decided to walk the Woodlawn/Victoria woods before lunch.

Yellows And Browns

A Breath Taking Walk 
Again, it was a good choice as the sun came out for a bit, the woods were dry, and most of the trees still had their yellow leaves, striking when the sun came out,  It's an easy walk, just about a half hour, and when I got home, I felt righteous, having both walked, kayaked and done yoga.

An Angry Blue Jay

So What!
So it was time for lunch, a toasted cheese sandwich, homemade vegetable soup and another episode of Longmire.  That was it for me for much of the afternoon.  Evie, however, tried to keep busy but the continuous chatter about the changing political landscape on the radio was depressing her big time, draining her mojo.  So she ended up watching junk TV for part of the afternoon until we thought of something to cheer us both up, another kayak paddle.  The lake was too inviting to pass up, so we had a lazy paddle over to Bemus Bay and back, enjoying being out on the lake with a few fishing boats.  It was a good choice, picking up our spirits by getting us away from politics for an hour.

Sun Setting Over Amish Farms
Around 6:00, our good friends Linda and Ron came over because we were going to Pine Junction for dinner.  We wanted to go there because it might be the last time we could make this pleasant drive in daylight.  And as always, we ogled the farms, the forests, the vast Amish manicured pastures, hilly and still green.  Pine Junction was not very busy so we were able to find our favorite seats at the bar.

Fun Night At Pine Junction
We ordered Yuengling beers despite our better instincts (the Yuengling owner is an outspoken Trump supporter) and burgers, our usual at Pine Junction.  It was a good choice, to come to Pine Junction and though it was dark when we drove home, I took the Interstate, making night driving easier.  And we got home in time to see the beginning of the World Series for Ron who is a big baseball fan.  In fact, he quizzed me on the 1954 Cleveland Indians starting line up.  I missed one, Dave Phillips, the right fielder though I did think it was Dale Mitchell, a part time right fielder.  Pretty good for a 73 year olds memory.  And as I mentioned, I went upstairs to read the new Ian Me Ewan novel, NUTSHELL, abandoning the Tribe and their two run deficit, like a disloyal Cleveland fan.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...