Sunday, May 8, 2016

Way Too Late


7:15
8:05
Well, it's the second day in a row that I missed the sunrise by a few minutes because I got up too late. It's a morning of puffy clouds and sunshine, so bright that the windows I washed a few days ago look spotty (don't tell Evie). No rain is forecast for the next few days although we could use some.  I am not complaining it just means we will be doing lots of watering of our new grass.  I am not sure what this Mother's Day will bring, perhaps a walk, some working in the yard and a good dinner.  Not much changes around here on a Sunday.

Yesterday was a wonderful Spring day at the lake, blue skies, a variable wind, temperatures in the 50's, a day for working outside.  So nice that I skipped yoga as I admit to getting tired of going every day and look forward to enjoying more mornings here at the week as it gets warmer, more inviting outside.  So by 10:00, we were both outside, ready for bear, getting things done before we vamonos later in the week.  My first task was to straighten the Purple Martin House which can be a pain.  I got out my waders, my sledge hammer, wrench and waded out into the lake.  Fortunately, I was able to straighten it by hand, then pound the edges of a post farther into the lake bed and the house seemed much more steady and, voila, straight.  Let's hope it lasts.

When I was done, Evie was busy getting the kitchen tidy, cleaning out the refrigerator since we will be on the road for a couple of weeks.  I drove to the Transfer Station, ran into a breakfast buddy, with a truck full of trash.  When I got home, Evie was ready to spend the rest of the day in the yard.  The problem with yards, as I see it, is that there's always something to be done.  Evie looks upon it as an opportunity to get things done.  So while she continued with yard work, trimming, edging the walk, or weeding, I washed our Outback, pulled it into the shade and waxed it, getting it ready for our trip. It's fairly easy to wax, just spread thinly, let sit for five minutes and buff.  The result is a shiny, new looking Subaru Outback (which it is).  I am not much into cars, have rarely if even waxed my car but for some reason, maybe I have grown up, I want to wax this car, even enjoy it.  And of course hope to improve it's life so I don t have to buy another new car.

Around noon, we both took a break from working and Evie made me a quesadilla and heated up the cauliflowers soup.  I ate lunch, watched Game Of Thrones, watched some saved NBA playoffs, read briefly,  and took a quick nap.  I then went outside and for the next hour or two, Evie and I worked on weeding and edging our brick walkway, festooned with moss and weeds.  It's slow work, time consuming but the end product, a clean and weed free brick walk, is worth the trouble.  We just have to keep it up, which usually is my job.  I thought we were through for the day since it was late afternoon.  I was wrong.  Evie fired up the mower and spent the next forty five minutes cutting the yard, making it look like a golf green.

Clouding Up At 5:10 In The Afternoon
By 5:15, we were both ready to shower and get spiffy because we were going out on the town  (Jamestown) for dinner.  Ron and Linda picked us up at 6:15 and we were sitting at the empty bar of Brazil's Craft Beer and Wine Lounge by 6:45, enjoying craft beers. It was actually nice being one of the few groups at the bar because it was easy to talk.

A Couple Of Cool Alley Cats
We stayed until 7:30 when we had reservations at our favorite window table at Forte, Jamestown's best.  They had a special, a steak, salad, potatoes, roll, and a beer for 12 bucks.  To our dismay, it jumped to 14 bucks, but we went with it anyways, despite the hike, and enjoyed our meals.  The steak was great, the salad disappointing because it was so small but still, we all felt it was worth the extra two bucks.  We are big spenders.  We ended the evening with an ice cream cone from a nook of an ice cream shop on Pine Street and headed back to the lake.

'Bros'
We were home by 9:30, in time to watch a little basketball, some Colbert, before going up to read and fall asleep.  A busy but fun day.  We both felt we had accomplished quite a bit.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...