Tuesday, May 3, 2016

A Slow Morning, Overcast Skies


7:18 
I was up at 6:20, a typically overcast morning,  nothing special about the sunrise, with a solitary fisherman casting towards the reeds and 39º, another day at the lake.  Will this be the day where Trump more of less clinches the Republican nomination by winning Indiana?  A sad day for the US.

Red Breasted Grosbeak
Grosbeak
Yesterday was another overcast day here at the lake although most of the rain fell overnight.  We seemed to spend an inordinate amount of time taking pictures of a heron on and off during the day, especially early morning, then later in the day when a heron spent a good twenty minutes on the end of our dock.  I did make it to yoga and I have been consistent in my attendance since returning from Folly Beach, going at least five if not six times a week.  It's become part of my routine and the day feels strange without it.  I am beginning to rue the day I decided to keep both Hondas as the brake light came on while driving the Accord.  I stopped at my mechanics and he checked the brake reservoir and it was low.  He put some fluid in and I went on my way till later.  After yoga, I got a coffee, the regulars were there, then made a couple of stops, to Sam's for gas (15 cents cheaper a gallon than at the other stations), then at Wegman's to pick up some veggies for our wok dinner, then Evans, for some booze.  Before I left in the morning, I had helped Evie with some of the organizing of our attic, a spring time chore, like moving the winter things back in, taking out the summer clothes and lake or swimming stuff.  Evie, then,  spent the rest of the morning getting it in order, so that we can find things when we need them.  It's too easy to just put something up there, in a corner, then when you go to look for it, it has disappeared.  Not now!

Lunch was a leftover enchilada, from the previous week, making me wonder how long a leftover can sit in a refrigerator before it should be thrown away.  Evie left for the gym, then returned because the tree guys were on the street, taking down branches for National Grid.  Finally, she talked with them and they said they would not get to our house until tomorrow, so she drove off to the Y to work out.  I had my typical afternoon of Game of Thrones, reading and a nap.  There was nothing I wanted to do outside, so I just stayed in and read, waiting for a phone call from Evie.  I was going to drop the car off at my mechanics and she would pick me up on the way home from the gym.  So off I went around 3:30, dropped it off, with my mechanic promising to call before 5:00 to let me know what was going on (he didn't of course).

Our Heron
When we  got home, we both decided to quickly prep our wok dinner, getting all the veggies, the sauces, the chicken ready for cooking later.  We then had a relaxing hour, taking photos of the heron before heading into the kitchen.  I am usually the wok master, so since everything was ready, I started woking, first the vegetables, then the chicken, then the garlic and ginger and hot bean sauce, then everything back in the wok, ending with the sauce to thicken and chopped peanuts.  It was not as good as usual because I spilled some vinegar over the cabbage when cooking, which changed the taste and neither one of us noticed the hot bean sauce.  It was satisfying but not my best effort.

We started a new series which we both really like so far on Netflix called 30 Degrees In February.  It's a Swedish series and follows the lives of three different Swedes as they visit and eventually live in Thailand.  One is a sad sack bachelor, looking for love; another is a repressed wife,  harassed and tied to her wheelchair bound husband.  The third is a divorced Mom who is recovering from a stroke, with two daughters.  The three are a strange combination of lives but so far  their lives are compelling, especially the wife, who is beginning to spread her wings despite her nasty husband.  We ended the night with chocolate chip cookies and Bill Maher's Real Time.

30 Degrees In February

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...