Thursday, May 5, 2016

An Overcast And Calm Lake Morning


6:04
6:44
It's after 7:00 and I have been up since 6:00, to an unchanging sky of gray clouds and lake.  No spectacular sunrise this morning.  The calmness of the lake is beckoning, hardly a ripple, flag motionless.  It's 47º and in the ever changing weather forecast, we may have some rain today but we should get some sun over the weekend.

Yesterday morning was a busy day for Evie, as she made stuffed shells, 120 of them, in the morning.  I was home from yoga in time to help clean up.  It was quite a task although it went quicker than expected.  Now we have four trays of frozen shells, ready to take to Kansas City next week for our grandson Nick's graduation party.


Stuffed Shells 
After Evie was done, she drove me to Lakewood to pick up my Honda Accord, which needed new brake lines, another in a seemingly never ending problems with an older car.  And I finally learned something about owning three cars.  Just because I bought a new car, it doesn't mean the end of car bills.  If you want to avoid those bills, you have to get rid of the older cars because something will always break down and need to be fixed on them. Thus, the brakes on the Accord yesterday, a new key and ignition on my Pilot two weeks ago. It will never stop.  I am starting to think I have made a big mistake in keeping three cars rather than getting rid of them.  When is it time to get rid of a car? When does it become too expensive to keep them up?  I don't know, so I will marshall on, hoping nothing will go wrong, knowing, however, something will.

Evie had a doctor's appointment mid afternoon; her check up went well as she seems to be getting healthier and healthier according to her PA.  It's nice, for once, to come out of a doctor's office with a smile.  Meanwhile, I worked some outdoors, getting things in order for the summer, the chairs, benches, tables, lounges,  beach chairs, and so forth out, making sure they are ready for the onslaught of our grandson and his buddies in early June.  It's amazing the amount of junk we collect and keep and have to put away or get out depending on the season.  Summer, of course, is the worst.

After Evie's efforts in the kitchen during the morning, we decided to go to the Viking Club for dinner.  It was a lovely evening, as the clouds disappeared late afternoon, and the sun came out.  The Viking was quite busy, as others were enjoying the sun and light on the lake.  We were sitting at the bar and the McClures walked in, having just arrived from Murrysville.  So we got a table, ordered some beers, and caught up on with their lives over the past couple of weeks.  I had the special burger with mushrooms and cheese and Evie had a grilled chicken salad.  No Cubans or Rubens for some reason.
Viking Club Sunset at 8:04
We stayed until the sun dipped behind the horizon and were home around 8:45, in time to watch some of the Cavs game, where they set the record for the number of  3 point shots in a game.  They were unconscious and routed Atlanta.  I finished APPOINTMENT IN SAMARRA and started The Legends Club, by John Feinstein, the story of the rivalry between three great North Carolina coaching legends and rivals, Mike Krzyzewski, Jim Valvano, and Dean Smith.

I got up to go out and kayak but discovered it was starting to drizzle.  I got out out my slicker and floppy hat before I hit the lake.  I hoped it would stop soon.  When I got out on the lake, Evie yelled out to me that I had breakfast in Bemus.  Idiot...I forgot about it so I paddled in quickly, got dressed and made it in time to have breakfast with the guys.  Now it's time for yoga.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...