Saturday, January 16, 2016

Winter Rain And Slush


8:00
Winter Fishing
A Flock of Swans Swimming and Resting
It's 7:30 and shades of gray and blue fill my living room windows as just as a just visible flock of swans float by, gathering at the shallows at Fox's Point.  It's drizzling out, heavy snows to arrive tonight, so it looks like a wet and sloppy day outside.

Yesterday we had hoped to cross country ski, so I skipped yoga.  Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate much, as it remained warm and wet, no snow to speak of, a light drizzle at times.  Because I did not get any yoga in, I was anxious to get some exercise, so I put on my skis despite the warming weather and skied in the Woodlawn/Victoria woods.  It was surprisingly good even though the snow was slushy and I bushwhacked through the woods, making my own trails for an hour.  It was great fun and I practiced my weakness, any kind of down hill, mostly because it's difficult for me to turn or stop, a prescription for a fall if I am not careful.

I was home in time to listen to Michael Smerconish discuss his reaction to Netflix's popular documentary, MAKING OF A MURDERER.  He, like us, had basically the same reaction; they may be guilty but their  trials were not fair.  It was interesting listening to him, to his interview with the prosecuting attorney who talked about evidence the documentary left out.  It convinced me (Evie is still on the fence) of their guilt despite the malfeasance of both cops and defense lawyers.  What it mostly suggests, however, is that if you are poor, not too smart, you have little chance of winning in a courtroom.

Swans, Yesterday at Noon
Afterwards, Evie headed off to the gym, to shop at Wegmans and I finished off the lasagna for lunch and watched the second episode of TREME, a district in New Orleans which was mostly black before the hurricane.  I am starting to get into the series and enjoyed the fact that they talked about a go to venue to listen to music called Snug Harbor, a bar we also went to and listened to a great jazz band.  I guess its not a secret.  I continue to enjoy Bruno, the chief of police, book, and hope to pick up the third volume in the series this morning in Lakewood.

Evie got home just as I was making a pot of coffee in my Bialetti pot, so I shared it with her, as we relaxed, listened to Julie Mason on POTUS late afternoon.  I  was tired of sitting around so I strapped on my skis once again and went out for forty five minutes in the slush but it was still fun, the skis slid along nicely.

Dinner was quick and easy, fried eggs on a bed of sauteed spinach, with home fries, smothered in onions and mushrooms and, of course, a couple of the pumpkin rolls Evie made yesterday afternoon.  We started a movie we did not like much from France, Girlhood, stopped after 15 minutes and went back to our guiltily admitted crush on American Idol. We cannot help it; we like it except when they bring on the schmaltz, the sad background of a contestant, that's lost his mother, his home, his guitar but soldiers on.  Blah.  Still, we enjoy it and cannot believe its been fifteen years.  We ended the night with some James Corden before going upstairs to read.

Swans Among Ducks
I just went out to take another photograph when at least 50 swans starting yodeling than flying away for some reason.  I looked south and a fishing boat came charging up the lake, scaring them away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...