Saturday, January 23, 2016

A Weekend Of White Begins


7:50
Well, another Saturday, another day, just like the others.  Our view doesn't change much this time of the year.  Lots of white, the yard, the lake, and a rarely changing sky of gray, yesterday being the exception.  Its still a chilly 16º, and it has been in the teens all week.  It looks like yesterday's fishermen on the lake was not a mirage.  A few guys were out yesterday afternoon and I can see at least one guy out in the middle of the lake this morning.

Yesterday was a carbon copy of the day before, as not much changes in our lives during the winter unless we hit the road for some reason.  And we are happy right now, to just hang out her at the lake for a couple of months of winter and snow.  I went to yoga yesterday, a beginning yoga class and it was really a beginning class, as a couple of the participants had never been to a yoga class.  So things went slowly but I did not mind.  I stopped at Ryder's Cup afterwards, bought a cup of coffee for one of the regulars who was celebrating his 70th birthday.  There's usually four or five of that age group hanging out in the morning when I stop by.

When I got home, Evie was taking it easy, had decided to take it easy by taking a day off from the gym and cross country skiing, a good choice.  So after a lunch of soup and a bagel, we both relaxed, reading and watching some TV, content to do nothing.  The extent of my physical activity was to rise up after a nap and make myself a cup of tea.  That took an effort because I was really enjoying my new book, Elizabeth Strout's new novel, MY NAME IS LUCY BARTON.

Victoria Woods
Late in the afternoon, however, I went cross country skiing in the woods.  It was great, cold and clear, the sun setting and I just made my own trails through the woods.  I ran into our neighbors, Jeff and Nancy again, and they were loving it as well.  And I noticed two guys out in the middle of the lake, having walked out from Victoria where I had checked the ice earlier and found it still suspect.  A couple of brave or stupid guys.

Ice Fishing Season's Opening
We decided to get Cuban sandwiches from Hogan's Hut.  I had heard from friends that they always stop there on the way home from skiing to get their sandwiches.  I can't say I agree as ours were not very inviting, a dark, almost black mystery meat on a  bun.  I am happy to say I survived the night without a stomachache.  Never again.  Just as we were sitting down to dinner, our doorbell rang and our neighbor, Jim Fox, dropped off a plastic bag of frozen fish.  He assumed it was left for us.  We were not sure about who left it until we remembered our fishing friend from the fall, a guy who we have talked to numerous times mentioned he had tried to leave us some perch one other time but was unsure of our house.  So we assume it was him but now we have to figure out when he left it, if it was yesterday or, perhaps, a week ago.  My guess is it was yesterday and that he was the guy out on the lake, fishing with a buddy.

Not sure what today will bring.  We have a light snow predicted for later, nothing like what is happening on the East Coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...