Friday, January 29, 2016

A Few More Inches Of White


7:30
Another early morning, up in darkness at 6:00 but now, at 7:15, it's beginning to get light. I was surprised to see a light on the lake, a solitary fisherman, out since 6:00, in front of the Long Point Pavilion.  The usual guys have yet to arrive and head out from Victoria.  They will come.  It's 25º at the moment, a wet snow falling, and it is not supposed to get much warmer, great weather for cross country skiing.

Yesterday was another surprisingly warm day, with a high in the 40's during the afternoon, continuing le petit melt.  I started the day with breakfast at the Bemus Point Inn with the guys not in Florida.  It's always good to see them, to see what others are doing with their day.  One is volunteering to help residents with their tax returns, the other driving to Florida next week, then flying to Costa Rica for ten days.  I have to admit the latter sounds like more fun.  We usually have the same table and the few times that we didn't, the waitresses are always apologetic.  Now they have a  reserved sign on it for us.  I usually get home around 9:15, in time to get ready for yoga and drive to Lakewood for class which begins at 10:00 on Thursdays.  It's always a good class, well attended and there were even two guys in class, after a week of women only.  We worked on a position called the saddle which I dislike immensely mostly because I cannot do it, probably never will be able to.  No big deal.  I do something else that approximates the position.  The sign of a good yogi is to know your limitations and not worry about it.

After class, I shopped at Aldi's for the first time in weeks, mostly because I had read that they were challenging Whole Foods by going organic to a degree.  It was a quick run through as I had a small list and didn't worry about buying organic.  The prices on most but not all things are certainly a lot cheaper but you have to know the prices to save money.  When I got home, Evie was debating whether to go to the gym because it felt so good to just enjoy being home, not having anything planned for our day or evening. We had had a busy three evenings, with the moonlight trek, the Tuscan dinner, a fish fry with the McClures.  Her better angel, however, took over and she went off to Lakewood as I made myself a fish taco and warmed up some vegetable soup for lunch.  And I watched TREME though I soon got bored, turned it off and went into the living room to read and nap because I was tired from getting up at 5:30.  I am reading Pete Hamil's FOREVER, a fictionalized history of New York City.

Selfie While Cross Country Skiing
Evie did not get home till around 3:00, happy from once again having a good workout, finding her groove.  Sometimes working out feels good, at others it's just plain work, no fun.  Yesterday, for her, it was fun.  I looked outside around 3:15 and it was sunny on the lake, with blue skies, and the guys were beginning to trot out on the lake to fish.  So I decided to see whether the lake was good for cross country skiing.  And despite the fact that it was warm, just about 40º, the lake felt safe and the surface was great for skiing.  So I was able to ski for an hour, in the sun, from Victoria all the way down to Whitney Bay and back, keeping within 10 yards of the shoreline, just to be safe.  It was my first time on the lake this year and it felt great.  In fact, because of last night's snow, I cannot wait to get back out there this morning.

Fishermen Begin Arriving at 4:16
When I got back, we had little to do for dinner since we were having the leftover chicken with mushrooms and artichoke hearts.  We relaxed for an hour, with a glass of wine and pistachios for a snack before Evie went into the kitchen to make a salad and roast some brussels sprouts and we had an easy dinner. After dinner, we anxiously waited, like the rest of America, for Donald Trump's plane to appear at the Des Moines airport, the dawning of the Age of Trump.  Get used to it.  And when he appeared on stage, we stood to show our respect before the King of Comedy, probably or improbably, the next President of the United States!  And so it goes.

I forgot in my excitement that before Trump' arrival, we did watch the next episode of American Crime Story, one of the better mini series on ABC.  We both recommend it highly.  We channel surfed the rest of the night between the debate, Trump's Circus Act, and the pundits discussing the two ring circus of Trump and the Republican Debate.  By 10:00, I had enough and went up to read about the Irish before they immigrated to New York City.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...