Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Clear Skies, 3º, Lake Freezes (No More Kayak Mornings)


7:15
7:43
8:02
8:03
Well, it's 7:10, a blue/orange sky, about fifty yards of the lake is frozen, the rest is still open water, with steam rising off its surface.  I am waiting for the sun to rise off to the south, hoping it will be special.

Yesterday was also very cold, the temperature never getting higher than 15º.  It's hard to believe we had 75º weather a couple of weeks ago for Christmas. Winter has come with a vengeance.  I began my yoga classes again yesterday.  Like anything new, even if I have been practicing for three years, I went with some trepidation, wondering if I could keep up.  I fit in seamlessly, and was welcomed back my much of the same crew from the past.  I had forgotten how much I enjoyed it, how quickly time passed, how empty my mind became as I practiced various poses, how settling of the ending savasana, just resting on your back for the last ten minutes of class.  Afterwards, I stopped in at Ryder's Cup, with their new sign, got and coffee and wished all the regulars, Joyce, the barrista/owner, her parents, sister, Janice,  and a couple of others, a Happy New Year.  I feel like I am back in the groove, up early, yoga, coffee, perhaps a quick stop at a store, then home.

When I got home, Evie had been busy cleaning our furnace room and hallway, an area I would never think needed cleaning but then, I am a guy, clueless for the most part.  She was trying to make up her mind whether to workout or not since she was not feeling as peppy as usual.  Finally, she decided it would be an elixir, and drove off to Lakewood around 1:30, leaving me to my lunch and afternoon TV episodes.  I have yet to find something to replace Longmire, so I just watched some Sports Center, then read for awhile and took a brief nap.  I am reading FIELD OF FIRE, the third volume of Amitrav Ghosh's IBIS TRILOGY, set in India and China in 1839, about the time of the Opium Wars.  It's an epic work, well worth reading, as he's become a giant in the literary world.

Long Point, Late Monday Afternoo
Evie was back by 4:00, with some goodies from the store, and relaxed until dinner time.  For me, it seemed like a long afternoon, waiting for dinner time, mostly because it was too cold to get outside and do something active, like taking a walk or raking, anything like that, the bane of exceptionally cold weather I guess.

Dinner was easy, heat up the leftover lasagna and make a salad.  Finding a TV show to watch was more difficult as most of the TV shows we have enjoyed this fall are finished and the new have yet to begin.  So we watched another RIVER, two episodes to go, then spent the rest of the night channel surfing until it was time to go up to read.

We knew today would be sunny, hoped to hike in the Allegheny State Park but it's just too cold so I will go to yoga, Evie go to the gym, and then later, maybe we can do some hiking nearby.  Or if we are lazy, go to a movie late afternoon, then get a take out at the new Indian restaurant.  The latter is sounding better and better as I write it.

Fire In The Morning
As I finish this, I continue to amazed at the steam rising and moving northward along the lake's surface.  I wonder what weather conditions created this?  Warm waters and near zero temperatures? And the sunrise has been different the last two mornings, less like a globe, more like  a fire in the sky to the south. which gets wider as the sun rises.
Steam Rising

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...