Wednesday, September 3, 2014

The Metamorphosis Of An Early Morning Sky


6:07

6:35

7:17
7:30
Up at 6:00, before the sunrise, colors just beginning to appear in the eastern sky, painting the lake surface with its reflection.  It's only the herons and me at this hour, perhaps a few ducks, plopping into the lake when I walk out on our dock.  There's a pleasant chill this morning, 57º, the highs later near 80º, sunny and clear, a great day for taking a boat cruise down the lake and the Chadakoin River with the McClures.

I was determined to begin yoga again after a three day respite and it was just the tonic I needed because I felt energized, ready for the day after class (it did not last long).  I also shopped at Sam's, picked up salmon for dinner, filled a couple of cans with gas for my boat, and was home by noon. Evie had just gotten back from a paddle on the empty lake, seemingly the only boat around, the quietness of fall.  Lunch was leftover dogs with coleslaw slathered on the buns, Southern Style, and the last of the cauliflower soup.  I watched Ray Donovan, while Evie read on the dock, until the rain forced her inside.  Around 1:00, I drove off to the DMV in Mayville, as my NY driver's license was about to expire after five years.  It's difficult to realize that we have been New York residents for five years.  Whoa.  Just to show you how ridiculously bureaucratic this state is, I had to fill out another form with all the info they already have, the clerk fills it in on the computer, and then sends it to Albany and they will mail me my license in a week.  Unbelievable.  In Ohio, they take your picture and print it immediately.  Bureaucracies create lots of jobs I suppose.
Afternoon Rain
When I got home, there was a brief respite from the rain, so I went out and emptied twenty gallons of gas into my boat, making sure we have plenty for our cruise down the lake today.  Just as I finished, it began to rain, so Evie and I spent the late afternoon on the porch, listening to the rain, and reading, listening to various music genres on our Sonos radio.  We love it.  After a glass of wine, Evie started dinner, making garlic spinach, broiling the salmon in tin foil, and we had a quick but good dinner.  It's our favorite way to enjoy salmon, with an entire family sized box of spinach.  We watched the last two episodes of Masters of Sex, which still holds our attention, especially Lizzy Caplan, the Johnson of the two.  It has its ups and downs, like most series, but we mostly like it.  Evie is reading Richard Russo tomb, THE BRIDGE OF SIGHS, and I am half way through Anthony Doerr's new novel, ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE, set in Nazi occupied France.

It's now 7:14 and a once clear morning, then blanket of fog, has now obliterated Long Point and the end of my dock is barely visible.  The fogs coming reminds me of a stanza from Eliot's THE LOVESONG OF J. ALFRED PRUFROCK:


The yellow fog that rubs its back upon the window-panes,
        15
The yellow smoke that rubs its muzzle on the window-panes
Licked its tongue into the corners of the evening,
Lingered upon the pools that stand in drains,
Let fall upon its back the soot that falls from chimneys,
Slipped by the terrace, made a sudden leap,        20
And seeing that it was a soft October night,
Curled once about the house, and fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...