Sunday, September 7, 2014

A Montage Of Clouds And Light And Fog

6:49
7:08
7:35
7:36
Up at 6:50, to a misty lake, a cold house, a fall like 48º.  Sunday mornings I tend to listen to the call in show on C-Span, which gives you a fairly accurate view of American voices on any given topic, some informed, some scary, some ignorant.  Welcome to the United States of freedom of opinion.  At the moment, it's 7:52, most of the fog has burnt off the lake, the sun is up, the lake shimmering with touches of mist, a beautiful beginning to the day.

Yesterday was a cloudy, overcast day, lots of rain overnight, cool, so we did not do much of anything during the day except wait for evening, when we were going out for dinner.  We felt energetic and despite the raindrops, we put our kayaks in the lake around 10:00 and went for a nice paddle, over to Long Point Marina, back to Wells and home.  Gray sky, gray lake, raindrops just as we returned to Woodlawn, perfect timing.

First Paddle of My Seventy First Year
I then went off to the Transfer Station, dropped off one can of trash, quite a difference from a few weeks ago.  When I returned, it was still overcast and rainy, so I put together a zucchini and fennel soup which I came across on one of my blogs a couple of days ago and it sounded easy and good.  You can eat it either cold or hot, so I thought it was worth a try. And, it turned out pretty good, something I would make again...it's pureed, so its thick like a vichyssoise without potatoes.  While I was cooking the soup, I put together my no knead dough recipe, so it's ready to bake this morning,  having sat for at least 18 hours.
In Jamestown, Ready to Hit Forte for Dinner, Mojo's for Music
The rest of the afternoon we both relaxed inside, reading or watching some of the US Open on TV. Around 5:00, we showered and got dressed because we were going into Jamestown with Ron and Linda at 6:00.  We had reservations at Forte at 6:30 and our table was ready, in a restaurant that was quickly filling.  Evie and I had a sushi appetizer, the McClure's a Middle Eastern platter.  Evie ordered the bar special, a beer, steak, salad and potatoes for twelve bucks.  The McClure's both ordered salmon and I had Jambalaya, with succulent scallops.  All our meals were great, keeping up with their reputation for being the best restaurant in the area.  We lingered till around 8:00, when we then bought our passes to the Infinity Music Benefit, which allowed us in to any number of venues where local bands, fifty of them, were playing.  We went to three or four venues, listened to various types of music, but spent most of  our evening at Mojo's, a musicians bar, where we listened to a group call the The Electra Kings.  They wore ridiculous hats, clown hats from the Renaissance, their shtick I suppose, but they were a tight group, all in their 40's, two guitars and a drum, acoustic music only, no singing.  We sat at the bar and listened until 10:00, when we headed home.  Linda ran back to Forte,  I thought to see the menu but she came back with two pieces of Red Velvet cake, for me to take home to celebrate my birthday.  Needless to say, it was amazing, a perfect way to end my seventy first birthday.
The Electra Kings

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...