Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Hazy Days of Summer

5:58
Up at 5:45, a close morning, quite warm, 70º, overcast with thunderstorms forecast for later in the day.  I am warm already, so it's going to be a hot and humid day, like yesterday where it got up to the high 80's late afternoon though it was a great day to be on the water.  When you get too warm, 'go jump in the lake.'

Yesterday was one of those days where you seemed busy all day but when you think back on it, you cannot remember what kept you so busy! So, I know in the morning I worked on the garage, my grill, the weeds in the lake, and got things ready for my mid afternoon trip to the store.  How that kept me busy much of the morning I am not sure but it did.  The same for Evie inside, busy with various things, organizing for our kids in four days.  Before lunch, we both worked in the lake, cutting weeds, a seemingly endless task but we finally have them under control...for now.  Our grandchildren will have a weedless swimming area.

We both relaxed some after lunch because I was going on a mega shopping trip, as was Evie.  We both left around 2:30, Evie to Sam's, the mall, the dentist, the hairdresser.  I went to pick up my boat cover, promised it would be done by noon but it wasn't.  They had not even touched it...typical.  I then returned bottles and cans, and filled up my second propane tank, making sure I am ready for barbecuing without a hitch.  Then on to Sam's, to fill up five gallon gas cans for the boat.  Then, I ended my shopping at Wegman's, stocking up on all the foods the kids enjoy, like cereals, sodas, and ice cream.  My cart was overflowing as I left the store.  Finally, I stopped at the Chautauqua Lake Association, to drop off a check for lake control and Ginny, our favorite waitress from the long defunct Bud's Carriage House was still working there.

I returned home around 4:00 and because Evie was still out, I decided to go kayaking despite the heat of the afternoon.  I paddled over to Long Point, followed its curve where boats were tied together, families socializing and swimming along the narrow beach.  One of the families had a huge water mat, 6 feet by 18 feet, and five or six kids were playing on it.  I asked the boaters about it; he said it was called simply a 'water mat,' and it cost 700 dollars.  Whoa!  I paddled on, stopping twice to submerge myself in the lake, cooling off.  Despite the heat, it was a fun paddle, and I was gone for around an hour.

We relaxed, when Evie returned, on the front porch with a beer, despite the heat and humidity.  We had Trader Joe's cooked ribs for dinner, with cole slaw and home fries.  We watched Stewart and Colbert and HBO's The Leftovers, which is not grabbing us much.  We may have to put it aside and I have not heard much talk about the show, not a good thing.

I am going to yoga in Westfield this morning, at Studio at Panterra, with my neighbor's daughter, Kathy Leonard.  She has never been to this studio and I thought she would enjoy the class with our local yoga guru, Dariel Woltz.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...