Saturday, July 12, 2014

Another Bass Boat Weekend

6:17 AM
Full Moon at 9:15 PM
Well, if it's a summer Saturday, then I may be awakened by the roar of boats.  This morning the stream of  roars seemed endless but must have lasted only three or four minutes.  Long enough, however, to wake me, make me realize I was not going to get back to sleep, so I got up a few minutes after 6:00, in time to see the last boats pass by.  Ironically, since then, I have not seen a boat on the lake, as they must have taken off to sweet spots north and south.  It's 57º, another fine day forecast, with a high in the 80's, with the rain coming in tomorrow.

I could not make up my mind what to do yesterday morning because it was inviting.  Should I kayak or go to yoga?  Easily solved as I did both.  So I went to yoga at 8:15, only one other person, then I came home, helped Evie with some of the screens, windows, and did some weeding but we were both on the lake by 10:00, still fairly empty of weekenders.  We made the mistake of paddling as the crow flies to Tom's Point, an endless paddle because you are in the middle of the lake, with no coastline to measure your progress, and nothing to look at.  Anyways, it took over thirty minutes, but our paddle back, along the shoreline was great, seemingly effortless, as time flies when you are not paying attention to it, or to a goal, like Tom's Point...a lesson there.  We passed Sandy Bottom, just as a huge cabin cruiser was backing in, with its requisite blond in a bikini, a necessity on any big boat.  They looked at us with pity as we slowly paddled by in our pathetic, little kayaks, self propelled!

We were out over an hour, came back happy after a great paddle.  Evie was anxious to get out on the dock to read, as it was still quiet on the lake, perhaps our last quiet day for a month as vacations begin for many.  So we spent the next few hours both on the dock or under the maple trees, my preference, reading, napping, what else is there to do.

Balloon Over Tom's Point
Around 5:00, we packed a couple of beers in the cooler, some pretzels and cruised south on the lake, along the shore to Niet's Crest, then back along the Bemus shore, and home.  It was surprisingly choppy so we had to take our time, which was fine.  When we got back, we were both tired, with dinner still to make.  Too much sun, perhaps the wind, and a beer or two contributed to our lack of energy.  Evie, however, had enough gumption to make great fish tacos, fried tilapia in a taco, with lots of veggies, sauces, sour cream and hot sauce.  Easy and good, a quick and filling Friday night fish fry.

We watched a couple of episodes of Rectify, then Orange Is The New Black, before going upstairs to read.  I am almost finished with The Silkworm, about to find out who done it but saved it for this afternoon.  I like to put 'good things' off, like opening Christmas presents slowly, stretching out the excitement. Silly but I have always done it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...