Friday, September 13, 2013

Mostly Overcast, Early Drizzle, And Much Cooler

7:10

Thursday afternoon at 6:00 PM


Up at 7:00 and was actually cold when I walked downstairs to get my coffee so I had to put on a fleece, sit inside rather than out on the porch.  It was very overcast and looked like rain when I got up,  but right now, at 7:50, I can see some light peaking through the clouds over Bemus.  It's 56º, a high of 57º, a low tonight of 41º, an amazing change in weather over the past twenty four hours.

Yesterday was still humid, with some rain, and overcast most of the day, another 'lost day' so to speak as we did little constructive.  I started the day by forgetting I had breakfast in Bemus with the guys until Dick Redington called and wondered where I was.  I jumped in my car and was in Bemus in 15 to minutes, for breakfast and lots of good talk.  All of my friends are traveling in the next month, the Redingtons to Prague and other parts of Europe, the Johnson's to Germany in a couple of weeks. Charlie Heinz goes to Hilton Head for ten days in two weeks, my sister Ellen and her husband Walt, not yet retired  hit the road for Maine today and Evie and I will be going to Yellowstone, Big Sky, and Jackson Hole in ten days.  Most of us are enjoying the freedom of our retirement (and a rising stock market).
Fishing Under Our Dock

When I returned from breakfast, we decided to get in a quick kayak paddle before the rains descended. We got half way across the lake to Long Point and it started to pour, so we turned around, paddled back and that was our physical activity for the day.  Around 11:00, Evie put together a peach crisp and baked it while I drove off to the Snug Harbor Marina, to check on the prices for winterizing my boat, power washing it, and storing it for the winter. This is something I have to do each fall and it's becoming increasingly expensive so I am looking for ways to do it more cheaply.  Right now it costs my about six hundred dollars to store and get my boat ready for the next season unless I need something else done to it which usually happens.  So far, I have found no alternative and the price seems reasonable so I will stick with Snug's and storing it at my neighbor's storage shed.
Bemus Gets Ready for Fall (and Halloween)

Mid afternoon, Evie went off to the mall to do some shopping and to get her hair cut by Casey, a gal she has been going to for at least a year.  I went to check on my trailer, to make sure it was in good shape, cleaned up the fallen branches in our yard, and did some reading.  When Evie returned, we sat out on the porch for a beer since it was still warm enough to sit outside.  Just as we were ready to go have dinner, Chris Kent, my boat mechanic, drove up in his boat and we took my boat out to check on why  the RPM's on the motor seemed so high.  Basically, every thing seemed fine, just a faulty gauge which happens with most older boats...the mechanisms get corroded and do not reflect an accurate reading.  It was nice of him to come over so timely and now we have some peace of mind when we take our boat out.

Our delayed dinner was a strange one but still tasty, left over salmon, spinach and rice, with toast and fried eggs.  Yum.  Eggs seem to go with almost anything.  And we had a newly baked peach crisp to look forward to which made dinner even better.  We watched Stewart and Colbert and something else, which I cannot remember before going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...