Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Docks In, Warming Up




6:00 AM
I am up early, 4:50, feeling pretty good actually though it's pitch black outside.  Evie has one of those 'fun tests' this morning, has to be at the doctor's office at 6:30, so I am 'up and at them,' as my Mom used to say.  Nothing like a cup of coffee at this hour, NPR, and my Mac to make me happy.  High of 73º today, 77º tomorrow.

Yesterday's major event, like most days, was Yin yoga at 9:30, with Danielle.  Always a well attended  class, she led us through some new poses she had learned at a weekend yoga seminar at the Pantera Yoga Studio in Westfield.  I had taken a two hour class there last January, but this one took place on both Saturday and Sunday, something I hope to do when it comes up again next fall.  We worked a lot on shoulder openings, though anytime I stretch my back in some way, it's uncomfortable though once I leave class, it's fine.  I think back pain is normal with some one as young as me.

I did stop at Wegman's for a coffee, Wegman's for a 'Danny's Sub,' my favorite, now $8.59 for a 14 inch sub sandwich.  Because Evie was fasting, she did not want me cooking, tempting her with food.  I finished OLEANDER GIRL, and started on a Harry Bosch novel, an easy read and I am already eighty pages into it.  Harry, as usual, is at odds with his new boss, officious and worried about perception.  What's new.  I did walk the Woodlawn/Victoria woods yesterday afternoon and for the first time, the wood's floor was beginning to turn green, with shoots of green, sprouting through the brown leaves, as well as lots of skunk cabbage, the first signs of spring around here.  They sure look green and healthy.


Wall of Yellow
Forsythia

A Greening of Kinney's Run

Skunk Cabbage

Around 5:30, Billy Deault and Chris Kent came over and put our dock, two weeks earlier than last year.  It took them quite awhile as they still do not seem to have an efficient method, as docks pieces float away, Billy stands around, and Chris does most of the hard work, like going completely under the 45º water to move a horse.  A tough kid.  It took them almost three hours by the time they were through tweaking things and they still have to put in the ladder and poles for my boat.  It's always an adventure with them, but they are good kids, actually men now, in their late twenties.
Billy of the Dock

Piece By Piece

Eye Balling in 45º Water

For dinner, I warmed up a burger leftover from last night, made some red beans and rice from a package (you can tell I miss Evie's cooking), and we watched another Mad Men, and some other shows I cannot remember.

At the moment, it 7:00 and I am in downtown Jamestown, after dropping Evie off, sitting at a booth in the only downtown breakfast spot Lisciandro's on Main Street, founded in 1954.  There are about ten people in here at this time, mostly regulars so it seems.  I remember eating lunch here for the  first time two years ago, having meatloaf and mashed potatoes, so filling I could hardly walk out...a good spot.  I'll sit here till about 8:15 when I can go back and pick Evie up from the doctors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...