Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Still Cold, Partly Cloudy, Some Sun

6:30 AM
Still Frozen Lake

Victoria Woods

For some reason, I awoke around 4:30, stayed in bed till 5:45 and have been up since then.  It's now 6:30, starting to get light, a large, ominous bank of clouds hangs over Long Point but it's  clear above our trees, a harbinger of a sunny day, I hope.  The lake is still frozen, a white sheet this morning, and the drive way has a dusting of snow, perhaps the last of the year?  Tomorrow it is supposed to start warming up.

Yesterday was one of those days you are glad is over.  I had to wake early for a 7:15 doctor's appointment, then a trip to the dentist at 9:00, for a teeth cleaning.  I did enjoy my breakfast in between, in downtown Jamestown at the Labyrinth Press Coffee shop.  I sat there for an hour, from 8:00 to 9:00 and only two or three people came in for coffee, one for a breakfast sandwich.  How do they make a go of it?  Lunch, perhaps, certainly not breakfast.  I got home around 10:30 and Evie was a busy girl, getting our house ready for our trip, a spring cleaning.  I helped, some, by putting all the winter toys away in the attic, the skis, snow shoes, and ice skates.  Each year we seem to acquire another pair or two of skis or skates, creating a problem of storage unless we throw something out.  The theory of getting rid of something every time we add something works only in theory, not practice.

Our afternoon was much of the same, continuing to ready for our trip, organize the house, and relax and read.  Evie did get in a work out at the YMCA, bought some new running shoes in Lakewood, and I walked the Victoria/Woodlawn loop around 4:30, snow melting rapidly, the ground cover brown, from decomposing leaves, perfect for green to come.  It was surprisingly cold when I walked, perhaps because of a wind, in the low 30's.

For dinner, we had the left over chicken from Sunday's dinner, with gravy, mashed potatoes, Brussels sprouts and beet salad.  Slowly, the refrigerator is being emptied, as we leave tomorrow early for Kansas City.  We watched some TV, read, and went to bed early, and I was tired from my early rising.

I cannot believe we are off tomorrow, Westward Ho, to visit Tommy and family, then on to Scottsdale, to see Claire, Evie's sister and her husband Henry, and Dot, Evie's step mom.  We are looking forward to sun, to seeing our grandchildren, to hiking or walking, both in KC and Scottsdale.  Enough of these gray skies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...