Friday, April 26, 2013

Heavy Fog Morning



Fog at 6:45

Buffleheads in Fog

I have been up for an hour, and it's now 7:36 and have yet to see beyond the lake's edge because the fog is so heavy, a result of warming air, cold ground or lake, I think.  It is warming up, finally, with temperatures in the 70's by Sunday.  Time to put in the martin house although we have yet to see any martinst as they too seem to be late, like spring.

I began yesterday with the first breakfast club of the year, at the Bemus Point Inn.  Five of us were there, only Jack Volker was missing.  Two, Joe and Dick, had spent their winter in Florida; Charlie was just back from Hilton Head, me from Scottsdale, and only Stan seemed to be have been around the past few weeks, though he spent January in Florida.  We caught up on each others adventures this past winter and all of us were glad to be back but anxious for spring and warm weather, especially fishing for Dick and Joe (Trout).  It was good to see them again; it makes me feel like an old hand at retirement, that I fit in, having breakfast with my fellow male retirees.  Yin yoga was packed yesterday despite the fact that it was a sunny day, and I was one of four guys, a strange feeling, no longer special (or ignored).  It was a good class, as Danielle's classes seem to be the most popular.  We did a number of new poses, for me, and one, where we did a frog pose on our stomachs and held it for five minutes, was difficult.  In fact, both Evie and I were more sore from our exercising and yoga yesterday than after nine days of six mile hikes.  Go figure.

By the way, we have loads of spring birds in our yard since Evie filled the feeders, mostly bright yellow finches, redpols, some robins and sparrows.  When we left for Arizona, the finches were still green, now, three weeks later, they are bright yellow

Finches at Evie's New Feeder

A Bright Yellow Fellow

A Plump Redpol
Mid afternoon, Evie went off to the Y to work out and I stayed home, read, took a great nap (I love it when I wake up refreshed), and went out and raked the twigs, stones, and leaves in our yard for an hour. I also finally finished a vacation reading book which I started in Arizona, Steve Martini's TRADER OF SECRETS, a writer I don't think I will ever read again.  It was predictable, told from different points of view, poorly written, a thriller I suppose, but I could not wait to finish it so I could get to something well written, more interesting, less pulp fiction like.

For dinner, Evie breaded tilapia, baked it, and we had broccoli, salad, and baked potatoes, a simple but satisfying dinner.  We watched some Colbert, raced through American Idol, and went to bed around 11:15.  I started a just published novel called OLEANDER GIRL, set in modern India and I like it already, at least I want to continue reading it.

Our main question for the day...where do we hike since it's going to be a nice day?  Allegheny State Park, Presque Isle, both long drives, or Long Point and Bemus?  Perhaps we will just walk to the Stedman Coffee Shop, for a change.  Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...