Sunday, April 28, 2013

Sunny Sunday and Warm






7:00

Our Hosts


Up at 7:00, again to a living room filled with sunlight, so strange still, after a winter of gray skies.  I can get used to it.  It's 50º out, high in the 70's over the next few days, perfect for working outside, hiking, and kayaking, something we have yet to do but will take up for sure  today.

Yesterday began with yoga, a small class of three, with Chris, talkative as ever, but he did show us some new poses, routines, which I liked.  I talked with a guy from class later, Ian, from Great Britain I think, at the Ryder's Cup, and he mentioned how Chris sure can 'talk,' taking up class time.  Because I had talked about my visit to Arizona,  he told me he had recently been in California, and it 108º.  He has a company there which he visits once a month, also one here in Chautauqua as well.  Sounds like a nice life.
Freshly Painted Fence

Enjoying A Spring Evening

Evie and I spent the afternoon outside, getting caught up on our spring chores, adding some, like painting the fence in our backyard.  I had stopped at Home Depot after yoga and picked up a gallon of Barn and Fence paint, whatever that is.  Evie started on it around 1:00, tedious work because of the edges, and walking in the garden carefully.  While she was doing this, I  struggled with putting up my martin house.  All went well until I took the house out to the post I had pounded into the lake bottom. I discovered the pole would not fit in the opening of the pipe.  Over the years, as I pounded the pole into the mud, the lip bent inward, making the opening smaller.  So, I took the martin house back to the yard, went to the garage, got out a metal file, and worked for close to a half hour, filing the burrs off the aluminum pipe so the bird house pole would fit.  After I was finished, I went back to the water's edge, picked up the pole with bird house on top and voila, it just fit into the opening, as the martins hovered around the house, anxious to start building their homes.  Amazing as they materialized out of nowhere, squawking, as they tried to pick out an apartment.
Pound Post in Mud, Get House

Put Pole in Post Opneing and Tighten Bolts
Ready for the Martins
A Home, A Home
After this debacle,  I helped Evie paint the rest of the fence.  It took much longer than we thought, but we were done by 3:00  I think.  Evie wanted some exercise, so I gassed up the mower for her, and she was off, to cut the lawn for the first time this year.  She put on her Nano, which Beth and Rami gave her for Christmas two years ago; it measures walking distances, and she figured that she walked a mile and a half when cutting the  yard, taking forty five minutes.  Meanwhile, I continued my raking of our yard and Leonards, clearing both of them of all the twigs and branches, which inevitably are the result of a long winter...two more garbage cans of debris.
Baking The Cauliflower Pizza Crust

We were invited to Mc Clures for dinner, a lovely spring evening, as we enjoyed our beer and appetizers, as the day waned.  Linda made a specialty pizza for us for dinner, one with a cauliflower.egg/cheese crust with various pizza toppings, both veggies and meat,  and it was great.  It would be especially good for those who would want a gluten free pizza crust.  We stayed till about 10:00 and went home, both of us tired and sore from working in the yard, especially bending over to paint that darn fence.  It's a good kind of soreness, however, the kind that says you have been physically active.
The Remains of Day

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...