Monday, December 10, 2012

Wet and Gray, Getting Colder With Chance of Snow Flurries

7:36 AM
Architectural Insignificance, On Wythe, two houses up from Thunder Bridge

Up later than usual, about 7:25 and was surprised by how warm it was outside, about 50 degrees, compared with yesterday morning's 29 degrees.  Fickle Chautauqua weather cannot make up its mind whether it's winter or spring.  And I just heard the temperature will be dropping rapidly with a chance of sleet or snow this evening.

Yesterday was no fun for Evie as she has come down with a bad cold, body aches, cough, runny nose, just feeling miserable.  So, she spent much of the day on the couch, drinking lots of liquids and taking it easy though she did clean our bedroom early morning, before she started feeling terrible.  She's not much better this morning though she did sleep last night.  Our only consolation, it did not happen on our trip out West.

I did work some in the yard, raking up branches, which seems to be my major chore this fall, taking another two garbage cans of twigs to the woods.  It's amazing how many branches and twigs fall each week here at the lake.  It would cover the lawn if I didn't pick it up.  About noon, I went to the CI for a walk, and it was a good time to walk, as the sun actually came out during my walk,  but hid the rest of the day.  Not much going on at the CI, a few people walking, Hurlburt Church surrounded by cars as a service was in session.  It felt good to walk it again, to look at the changes, houses that have disappeared over the past three weeks, to be replaced my monstrosity of modern architecture.  And the
'green house', being built by the Purell magnate, keeps getting larger and larger, so much for building 'green.'

We had Greek sausages for dinner, spices and feta I think, which I bought from the butcher in Sugar Grove a couple of weeks ago.  Quite good, with baked red potatoes and cole slaw.  By the way, both Evie and I have been enjoying China Mist hibiscus raspberry tea, recommended to us by Evie's sister Jean.  You make a half gallon at a time, drink it over ice, and it's really tasty and refreshing, supposedly healthy and great for the 'liver,' and especially for Evie because of her cold.  I began National Book Award Finalist BILLY LYNN'S LONG HALFTIME WALK, a book I have been wanting to read, and really like it so far.  A group of Bravo company Iraq veterans are being honored at half time of the NFL'S THANKSGIVING GAMEl in Dallas, Texas, a week before being sent by to Iraq.  I am not sure where it's going but the frenzy, the false care, their ten minutes of fame, are told with skill and irony.  I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...