Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Nothing New...Gray, Foggy and Overcast

Look Familiar? 7:50

Beech

Dobbins Woods

Dobbins Woods

Dobbins Woods at 4:20
Up about 6:20, my usual time I guess, dark but now gray at 7:50, the shorelines around Wells and Bootey Bay casting shadows on to the lake.  It looks like another cloudy and rainy day, much like the past few days. It's supposed to get a little colder on Friday and the weekend, with snow possible, but probably it will rain instead.  The temperatures forecast to be in the low thirties.

I did go yesterday to yoga, Workout World, and we had only three other practitioners, making it quite nice. Our teacher, Chris, is new to the area so he has yet to attract as many followers as the other teachers.  I think the students will like him, once they start taking his classes.  We worked on floor exercises, especially the spine and back, which I need.  He also ends each session with something he calls yoga nidra, or 'yoga sleep', a type of meditation that mimics sleep.  It has even been used to help returning soldiers with PTSD. I  would describe it as a type of meditation, where the teacher asks you be conscious of each part of your body, slowly, over a fifteen minute time period, moving from toes, to legs, to arms, chest, and head, to the rest of your body.  If you do this properly, you easily forget about what ever has been bothering you that day, relieving tension and anxiety.  I am beginning to sound like a yogi!

After yoga, I took Evie to the doctor in downtown Jamestown.  She was told that she still has pneumonia and was prescribed a new antibiotic and a inhaler, to help her breathing.  We hope this will take care of her cough and listlessness.  She has to be ready for the grandchildren in three days!!!  While she was at the doctor's office, I paid my dues for the Viking Club, $75.00 at their Main Street office, worth it I suppose for the few times we enjoy visiting and I am helping to support a local institution.  I also dropped off some books at the Prendergast Library and picked up a couple of easy reads for our trip East over the next couple of weeks.

Late afternoon, I drove to Dobbins Woods, on Bly Hill Road, and walked it, as dusk moved in.  It was nice and crisp and though there was no sun, it was still great to be in the naked woods, leaves fallen,  trails muddy and untrammeled, as I was the only one there. The only colors, the green of the hemlocks, some pines, and a few scattered beech, with their yellowing leaves hanging on much of the winter.  Tromping in the woods, I find, like yoga, is restorative, of mood and energy.

For dinner, we had pork, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes, watched some TV, did some reading and went to bed about 11:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...