Tuesday, December 11, 2012

AMERICAN ASSASSIN: VINCE FLYNN



I forgot to put this brief review on my log when I wrote it, in 2011 and wanted to include it because I was looking for the review when I saw Flynn's newest book at the top of the WSJ's best seller list.

I think I must be becoming a Tea Partier, as I finished my first Vince Flynn novel (he's idolized by the WSJ and the likes of Rush Limbaugh); Matthew Rapp, a rogue CIA agent, assassin, a former All American lacrosse player from Cornell, doesn't pay much attention to the rules or law: he does what needs to be done...rid the world (USA) of bad guys.  In AMERICAN ASSASSIN, we see Matthew as he is beginning his career, a rough diamond, just learning how to kill and survive.  He ends up assassinating a Turkish arms dealer, a German (ex Nazi) banker, an numerous Arabs, Palestinians, even a Russian.  What a guy!  I have to admit I enjoyed the book, cheered when he undid the bad guys.  Go USA!  We are the best...exceptionalism at it's best.  When I first picked up the book, I didn't realize that Flynn was the darling of the conservative right; it just looked like a good book.  But as I was reading it, it began to dawn on me that this might have an appeal to a certain segment of society, the right and obviously, ME.  Scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...