Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A Perfect Morning on the Lake

6:30

Inlet at Whitney Bay
Whitney Bay Inlet


Relaxing on shore line at Whitney Bay
Up at 6:30 to the sun hiding behind the clouds momentarily, a wonderful 55 degrees out, cool and refreshing inside.  After my first cup of coffee, checking my email and Facebook, I could not pass up kayaking on a morning like this, the lake placid and empty, not a fisherman or kayak in sight.  I decided to head north to Whitney Bay, taking my time, as I wended my way along the docks, then towards the end of Whitney Bay, the undeveloped shore front, filled with water lilies and weeds.  Again, few if anyone is up, at least they are not on their dock or yard.  I found a couple of inlets at the far end, one reminded me of what kayaking on the Everglades might be like, trees hanging over the water, water lilies and other growth clogging the water, logs laying across much of the inlet, so different from what I am used to.  It took me over an hour out, about 25 minutes back, as the crow flies.  Unfortunately, on the way back, I was bothered by small lake like fleas, even though I was in the middle of the lake.  They would hit my face, as I kayaked, and they were annoying most of the way.

Yesterday, Monday, was our day to relax.  We did lots of watering from the lake early, but that's about it for the day.  We read, took naps, worked a bit around the house, but it was truly a day of leisure for the both of us.  Evie did enjoy the dock, as there was a nice breeze, so it wasn't too hot to lay out or read.  For  dinner we had Trader Joe's ribs, along with a salad and baked beans, watched part of a classic movie, supposedly, Terrence Malik's Days of Heaven, Richard Gere's first film.  We found it boring and predictable though the setting, the Plains out West, was amazing.  It's set in the early 20th century and gives you some idea of how terrible life was for the masses who were forced to work for pennies because there were no jobs, the bosses ran everything, and their were no unions to protect the workers.

After dinner, the Leonards invited us over for s'mores, so we sat around their fireplace, talked, and roasted marshmallows.  We went in about 9:30, to read, watch some TV, and go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...