Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Sun! The Sun

Cloudy when I awoke, but within an hour the sun came out, no rain or snow or sleet in sight, and a shiny lake, the Chautauqua we love.  It's about 26 degrees outside, though it was supposed to go down in the teens over night.  The slush from last night is frozen and I heard the paper being delivered as I lay in bed because I could hear the crunch of the ice from the wheels of his car.  I could not figure out what that wound was but then realized it was his car.  We went to the VFW last night with Ron and Linda for our usual, an order of wings a piece and a triple order of sweet potato fries to share.  Yum.  There's not a healthy item on their menu though they do have a salad.

I went to check on the Honda that has been in the garage all winter and there's a flat tire, so I called Triple A and they should be over shortly.  I must be optimistic about spring coming if I have decided to start using the Accord.  Bring on the warm weather.  A farmer mentioned in the newspaper that it's usually in the 40's and 50's this time of year, not in the teens.  And every one is waiting anxiously for the lake to unfreeze.  They have a device set up in the water off of the Stow ferry crossing and people have been asked to make their best guess for five dollars, the winner gets a silly prize, the money goes to the Lake Association.  I guess this has been done in other areas and raised lots of money.

Shot hoops at the Turner Center with Ron Mc Clure, then rowed 3000 yards and took a shower there, to avoid using too much water here at home.  It felt great, reminded me of the old days, showering naked in a locker room with a bunch of guys, except I was the only one in the locker room.  It's now cocktail (red wine) hour, or time for a sun downer, what they call it in South Africa, and the sun is setting, though take is crusty white, the sky over Bemus still blue, what a great way to end the day rather than the gray we have been having.

I have also been transfixed by the well though of ROOM by British writer, Emma Donoghue.  I don't want to say too much about it, other than it's narrated by a five year old boy, a marvelous narrator, so rich and interesting, reminding me of the twins from Arundati Roy's THE GOD OF SMALL THINGS, one of my favorite books.  Both give you such insight into the world of children and make you think really hard about what you say and do around them.  There way of looking at and understanding the world, the words, the looks, the postures, is so different from that of their parents.  I highly recommend it and will write a review when I finish, probably tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...