Thursday, March 3, 2011

Brilliant Sunshine and Five Degrees

Another beautiful morning, as the sun moves closer to due East as it rises(6:49) and the days get longer as well, as I get up to light, eat dinner now when it's still light(6:09).  I was just reading the recent New Yorker an they have a long article on the fanatical fans of my Turkish team, Besiktas.  Though it's about the soccer fans, the same thing could be said about the basketball fans.  It's quite long but worth reading or at least skimming to get some idea of how the 'people's team's fans live and die for the black and white.  It's now 7:45 and I have to get ready for my breakfast club, at the Bemus Point Inn.  The group is getting smaller as two of the five are in Florida, and one my head's that way on Monday, leaving Stan and me for next week, the only snow birds to stay here.

We worked out at the gym this morning, and around 1:30. Evie went to get her hair done and shopping.  I watched a documentary called Restrepo, which won awards, about Sebastian Junger, who was embedded with a team for at least six months in Afghanistan.  It was very real and hard to watch at times, especially when you learned that the area that spent so much times and lives on was later just left to the Taliaban.  It makes you feel that all was for nothing, which I am sure how they feel as well.

I did go snow shoeing for an hour and it was great.  First, I went out on the lake, but it would have been better to ice skate though with snow shoes, it was easy to walk.  I went down towards Giarizzo's, then headed up through the homes, following a stream though the woods up to a couple of ponds, just below Route 394.  I then headed through the woods, up behind our the homes in Victorian, untouched by anything but some deer tracks.  It was a crusty snow, like frosting on a cake that had been left out for three or four days.  He was easy hiking, as I did not sink much, and the woods were beautiful at this time of the day.

We are having salmon dinner, but are relaxing now with a mannie before we eat.  And just a few minutes ago, Marlena called to ask us if we would participate in a Flat Stanley project, which involves her sending us a picture and then we do something with it.  We will just have to wait and see.  She is a delight on the phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...