Thursday, November 2, 2017

More Of The Same...Overcast and Wet

7:49
9:21
 I woke at 6:20, to sounds of rain hitting the roof.  It's now 7:10, still raining, a bit warmer than yesterday at 50º.  And at the moment,  there's not a sign of morning light.  I cannot see myself getting in a paddle this morning but never say never.  Just checked the rain gauge and we got an inch and a half overnight.

Yesterday was not much of a day, as we are in the waiting for a road trip mode.  Because we are heading out on Monday, we don't want to do much here at the lake, no drives, no hikes.  The weather helps this attitude as it's not exactly hiking weather, with rain and gray skies and windy.  I did get in a paddle yesterday, despite the wind and rain.  Around 10:00, I drove off to pick up Evie's jacket which she left at our Amish upholstery building last week.  It's a 15-mile drive and the last mile or two is on a dirt road.  Fortunately, he was there with a couple of friends and had her jacket set aside.  I then took a long way home, towards Busti, then down to Lakewood to do some shopping at Wegman's and stop at the bank to get some cash for our journey.

When I got home, Evie was prepping our dinner, so that we could enjoy the late afternoon with a glass of wine.  She made me a pork cutlet sandwich for lunch, to go with some vegetable soup.  I watched the last episode of NARCOS but it's clear they are leaving it open for another season as the drug war really never ends, just moves from one country to another.  After a nap, I went outside and did some work in the yard despite the drizzle and worked at organizing my garage, making it so I can park one of my cars in it during the winter months.  Having thrown out lots of 'stuff' this past month really has helped as I have more room than usual. 

Around 4:00, Evie put the eye of round roast in the oven.  And I drove up the hill to Reverie Cheese to pick out a good cheese to go with our wine.  We relaxed with a triple cream brie with bleu cheese, crackers and a couple of glasses of wine, waiting for the beef to finish in the oven.  It sits for at least a half hour in the oven.  Around 7:00 I sliced the eye of round as thin as possible and Evie plated our dinners, beef, mashed potatoes and gravy with mushrooms.  And we have enough meat left for another dinner or two.  The beef was tender and tasty, having "marinated" for 24 hours after salting and wrapping it in saran wrap.  We watched the Astros get the upper hand in the World Series final, some of the news programs and Vice News.  I am on the last pages of A GENTLEMEN IN MOSCOW, a book I am going to miss. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...