Thursday, November 30, 2017

Back In The Saddle, Again

6:39

7:49
It's 7:00, the sky is starting to lighten, a band of clouds sit on top of the Bemus shoreline but it's blue skies above the lake and Woodlawn.  When I went out to get the paper, the windows of our car were frosted over, making me wonder where my plastic de-icer is.  It's 32º  It looks like we may get some rain today although, at the moment, it does not look like it.

Yesterday was a nice crisp but a mostly sunny day, the high in the 40's, perfect weather for working outside.  After my paddle, I decided to work in the yard for an hour or two, raking leaves in the flower beds, behind the garage and part of our lawn, just under the willow, which is always strewn with twigs from the tree.  I managed to fill up two more pails of leaves and twigs and took them up the hill.  Around 11:00, I drove to Lakewood, stopping at Ryder's Cup for a coffee and picked up a dozen eggs.  Joyce, the barista, did not seem herself and I later learned, from the cashier at Wegman's  by the way, that she was suffering from shingles.  Small world, as the cashier recognized me as a Ryder's Cup customer because she works there on and off as a barista. 

Anyways, I spent more time than I wanted at Wegman's because, once again, they have moved items around, making it difficult to find things even when using the Wegman's app.  I picked up lots of staples since the cupboard and refrigerator were almost bare.  It was strange to be back in my routine after three weeks of travel but that won't last long.  The groove of routine will soon be deep and comfortable.

I was home by 1:00, heated up some leftover spaghetti for lunch, read and took a luxurious, at least it felt that way, nap.  I was deaf to the world for at least an hour and woke to the sound of Evie mowing and mulching the yards.  I went out to join her and did some tidying up of the leaves in various nooks, filling another pail and I also did some trimming of the trees in our front yard with my pole saw, standing on our dock pieces to reach the branches.  Evie oversaw the project. 

Around 5:30, we opened a bottle of sauvignon blanc, our white of choice, and Evie started prepping our dinner, shrimp and grits, a dish she has been wanting for three weeks, but never ordered when we were in Florida or New Orleans for some reason.  Fortunately, I bought the five-minute grits earlier in the day, so dinner did not take that long to make, basically, saute the shrimp, add the creams, jalapeno, and spice, and serve over the grits.  Along with a salad, we had a tasty dinner, as we watched the latest faux pas by Trump, a nightly entertainment, as well as wondering who would be the next 'big wig' to be accused of sexual harassment.  The accusations have ruined the lives of every one of the accused except one, Donnie, the former friend of Chuck and Nancy, supposedly our president.  It's a bizarre world when the fear of a nuclear war takes a back seat to a tweet or sexual harassment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...