Sunday, November 19, 2017

A Chilly 43º Dallas Morning

The Gang's Almost All Here
Well, Ramiro and I have been up since 6:30, glued to our devices, occasionally talking, as he tries to explain his business to me, investing other people's money in projects that will create good returns for both the investors and his company.  Sounds easy,  right.  I was surprised when I walked outside how cool it was but yesterday afternoon it started to change, as the cool weather literally blew in with the gusty winds.

Solving Computer As Well As The World's Problems
Yesterday was a take it easy day, something we needed after close to two weeks of traveling and having fun.  We needed a do nothing day.  So we alternated between sitting around and shopping.  First, we went to Costco with Rami around 10:30, after getting our clothes and stuff organized and we had lots to wash.  Costco was its usual tempting arena, lots of shopping fans, eager for a deal, buying what they don't need.  We controlled our impulses, buying only things for Thanksgiving and this next week.  Evie did buy some pillows and pajamas, just stuff she needed.  So I got out of there cheap compared to the good old days about seven years ago, when I walked out with a Samsung TV, at my son's prodding.

Our Student
When we got home, Beth was back from a good yoga class and Marisa was up, already sitting at the dining room table working on her homework.  The rest of the afternoon we relaxed, watched some TV, read, and watched Marisa work on her homework.  I cannot believe how hard our grandchildren work at their studies, how serious they are about school.  As I tell them, I had two things I cared about when I was in school, for the most part, Evie, and basketball, not a very good role model.  It wasn't until I got out of college that I became interested in learning and my real education began.

Marisa And Her Dad
We were unable to get the cowboy steaks at Costco, so Marisa took a break from her homework and we all went to Central Market, their amazing grocery store, the equal if not better than any Wegman's.  It was packed with shoppers like us, buying for Thanksgiving and they had the steaks Rami wanted, two mammoth two inch  Cowboy steaks.

Cowboy Steaks
He needed two hands to carry them to the cart.  Evie and I were happy sampling all their freebies, from grapes to bread, to cheese, to ham and green beans.  Shopping there is an experience, not just shopping.  It was hard to resist buying all the goodies but I walked out with only a bag of sun-dried tomatoes from Turkey.

We were home around 5:15 and it was wine time, so Rami opened a bottle of red with his new wine opener, which allows him to pour the wine but keep the cork in the bottle, so he can have one or two glasses at a time without really taking out the cork.  I am not sure of the method but it has something to do with a gas cartridge and pressure.

Around 6:00, he put the steaks on the grill at a low heat for about forty-five minutes, slow cooking them until their internal temperature reached 115º, then he gave them a char on a hot grill.  Meanwhile, Beth and Evie sauteed mushrooms, roasted Peruvian fingerling potatoes and made a salad.

Grilled To Perfection
We opened another bottle of red, the steak was done to perfection, and all the sides were gone by the end of our meal, as well as the steak, our best meal in two weeks.


Rami had come upon a movie both Evie and I wanted to see called Kedi, a documentary about the cats in Istanbul.  It's riveting and fun, worth seeing, as the camera follows seven cats in Istanbul as well as interviewing various Istanbul cat lovers.  We both could watch it again.  The movie wasn't over until 9:45.  We were all tired by then but I made sure to take Cody out for a walk.  It had cooled off enough that I needed to wear a fleece but was still chilled.   When I came in, everyone was getting ready for bed, so I went upstairs, too, tired from doing very little.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...