Friday, January 13, 2017

Where Did Winter Go?


8:14

8:15
Most of the white of winter has disappeared a result of the heavy, flood causing rains of the past couple of days.  The 50º temperatures have come and gone as we are back to temperatures in the 20's for the next couple of days with some sun forecast but no snow.  So, put away the cross country skis and get out the boots; we will be hiking or walking for the next couple of weeks.

A Brave Or Crazy Solitary Guy
Yesterday was as miserable and ugly a winter day as we could imagine.  Temperatures in the 50's, at times heavy rains, melting snow, lots of  fog, the creeks rising, with a fear of icy roads later in the day as the temperatures dropping into the 20's late afternoon.  Still, I made it to yoga in the morning and Evie drove off to workout mid afternoon, braving the weather.  It was good to be back in Yin Yoga, by far the most popular class, as over 20 of us were packed in like sardines, most of the gang I recognized.  On the way home, I stopped at Sav A Lot, to see if they happened to have any strip steaks on special.  They did, so I picked up four for Evie to vacuum pack and freeze.  

Fog In The Afternoon
I drove home in a drizzle yet our Woodlawn road was still covered with an inch of ice.  When I got home, Evie was not sure whether to drive off to the YMCA or not and put off making up her mind until 2:30 when it seemed to clear up some outside.  I had an interesting combo for lunch, a bowl cauliflower soup, then another bowl of kuru fasulye (beans with tomato paste and onions).  Both were great and best of all, Evie made me some lemon squares during the morning, a sweet I have been wanting.  Yum.  

Winter/Spring Puddles In Our Yard
While Evie was out, I finished watching CASE, a series from Iceland and read more of Born to Run.  I also took a nap, surprise, finished cleaning up the kitchen, and made myself some Turkish tea to accompany my reading.  We had plans to go out to eat in Jamestown but canceled because of the weather and moved our night out with Linda and Ron to Saturday, a good choice because neither of us wanted to be out on this miserable night.  And late afternoon, we were shocked to see fisherman still walking out on the melting lake to fish, one actually in the middle of the lake straight off from our house.  

Evie and I had a nice early evening of wine, hummus, cheese and crackers, listening to some news then music.  Dinner was already made, leftover enchiladas from Tuesday night's dinner.  And we started a new series on Amazon Prime, GOLIATH, starring Golden Globe winner Billy Bob Thornton, as a disgraced, alcoholic lawyer.  So far so good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...