Thursday, January 5, 2017

And Then It Snowed And Snowed


9:14
It's 7:15 and I have been up for an hour.  Once again, it's a winter wonderland outside, a light, fluffy snow and very cold, 15º.  It's just starting to get light as I can make out the lake.  And our road is being plowed out by Shane.  We can expect up to a foot or more of snow over the next two days but right now, there's a hiatus.

Yesterday we knew the snow was coming but we were ready, having stocked up the day before with a trip to Wegman's.  For some reason, I wanted to get out, to do something in the morning, before the heavy snow, so I decided to go out for breakfast (Evie stayed home) and drove up to the Stedman Corner coffee shop.  I was the only customer although a couple came in just as I was leaving.  It's a cozy place, lots of ambiance with the walls filled with various tchotchke.  I had a coffee and bagel, and was able to get online, so I read the New York Times.  It was just starting to snow as I finished, so I drove home on a slick road, taking my time.

Stedman Coffee Shop
When I got home, Evie was still enjoying the morning, snuggled with a blanket and I was still energized, so I took my first walk through the Victoria/Woodlawn woods in six weeks.  I was surprised that I had to make a path, so it was more difficult than I thought.

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep"
Other than a single cross country ski path, I was the first one to walk the path in awhile.  It felt good to be cold, to be outside in the woods despite the effort it took at times to walk through the six inches of crunchy snow.  It took me about 45 minutes to make the loop because I took my time, stopping to enjoy the walk and take some photographs.

Inlet At Victoria Creek
When I got home, about four inches of snow had fallen and it was easy to shovel our parking area as the snow was light. By the time I got in,  it was almost noon.  Evie had already cleaned up the kitchen and straightened up the house and gotten out my lunch, pizza and soup.  So I had my lunch and started to watch another police series from Iceland called CASE.  It was better than I thought so I will stick with it.

The rest of the day was a loss as neither one of us did much other than hunker down in our home and waste the afternoon.  Both of us felt guilty about it but it still felt good to be lazy.  Evie did get outside around 4:00 to shovel the parking area again but by evening, it had another six inches.  We were able to have a glass of wine and pistachios before Evie began our dinner, fried eggs, home fries, bacon and a salad.  We also watched another episode of Jack Taylor and the first episode of a new series called The Break from Belgium.  We liked it, better than Jack Taylor which is getting too predictable.  What would we do if we didn't have these series?   Watching a political show is verboten for now, perhaps for the next four years if we want to stay sane.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...