Saturday, January 7, 2017

A Couple Shades Of White


7:4

8:02
It was incredibly cold (2º) when I walked outside this morning, even hard to breathe.  Yet, at least ten fishing tents are already out on the lake, braving the frigid temperatures, with even a few guys sitting outside on what appears to be buckets.  Wow.  I was up at 6:30, listening to Click and Clack and now, Only A Game, a typical early Saturday morning for me.

Only The Hardy
Yesterday was also very cold, the temperature mostly in single digits or teens. I did want to get a few things done, however, so around 9:30 I started our car, cleaned three or four inches of snow off its surface and drove to Celeron, to Hollyloft Ski And Bike Shop, to get our cross country skis hot waxed.  It took about 15 minutes, so I waited and browsed the ski and clothing areas. Clearly,  both of us are getting our mojo back if we are readying our skis for winter.  Afterwards, I got the car washed (a mistake as by the time I got home, it was just as dirty as when I left).  I also did some shopping at Save A Lot, our discount rival of Wegman's and picked up five pounds of ground chuck (85%), so Evie could make a batch of meatballs to freeze.

When I got home, I had lunch, ramen and a cheese sandwich, and Evie got ready to drive into Lakewood to begin her winter regime of working out at the YMCA.  She found out, to her dismay, that our new health care program does not include the YMCA.  Fortunately, many others like Evie have found this to be true, so the Y is offering all of them a deal, twenty dollars a month for full access which is pretty good.  So Evie was able to get her first workout in, readying her for the shopping spree at T.J. Maxx.  Meanwhile, I watched another episode of CASE, finished my IQ book and started Bruce Springsteen's autobiography.  And, I took another nice nap, waking with excess energy so I put on a few layers of clothes and went outside in the cold to shovel our parking area and do some cross country skiing.

Cross Country Skiing Woodlawn
Unfortunately, I had to stick to the front yards and road of Woodlawn because when I skied out on to the lake, my skis sunk a couple of inches into the water and froze.  In other words, the lake is frozen, covered with snow but beneath the snow, it's still wet not frozen so it's impossible to ski.  I had enough after that and skied home just as Evie returned.

Fish Fry At The Viking Club With Doug And Dawn
We decided to go to the Viking Club for dinner since we had not been there in months.  We hoped to find a seat at the bar and not only were seats available but our friends Doug and Dawn were also there.  So we spent at least an hour talking with them.  It was a busy night for the Viking as lots of others enjoyed being able to get out without the worry of a white out.  We also ran into our friends Barb and Dana from Bemus.  It was like returning home.  Around 7:30, we went into the crowded dining room with Doug and Dawn and had good dinners, me the fish fry and Evie a couple of tasty, tender pork chops.  It was cold when we got outside, 4º according to our car.  I quickly turned on my seat warmer and within minutes I was comfortable as we drove home.  We watched some Diners, Drive Ins and Dives until it was time to head upstairs to read about Bruce's early years in New Jersey, a momma's boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...