Thursday, January 12, 2017

50º In January


7:40

8:48
Fog At 9:30
Went to bed listening to rain pelting our roof and windows and woke to rain drops on the windows, the snow rapidly melting.   It's a balmy 51º at the moment, probably the high of the day as it's supposed to cool off later in the day.

Because of the change in weather and both of our increasing energy and well being, I started yoga yesterday and Evie went to the YMCA for a workout.  We hope that this is the beginning of our getting back in the routine of getting some kind of exercise every day.  So far, so good this week, with cross country skiing on Monday and Tuesday, yoga or the Y yesterday.  And I have yoga in a couple of hours today.

Fishing Early Morning Yesterday
So, yesterday, I drove off to yoga around 9;30, was greeted with welcome by a number of students and I felt right at home.  It's easy to forget how settling yoga can be although I have to admit that I found myself thinking about politics during the last 10 minutes of class, relaxation or savasana.  I quickly realized what I was doing and started paying attention to my breathing and I relaxed again.  A close call! I then dropped a book off at the library and got a coffee at Ryders Cup, from a new barista named Faith.  I then headed home in a light drizzle.

Lunch was leftover spaghetti and I watched another episode of CASE.  I am beginning to think that most European series are obsessed with sex and perversion.  Some of the situations are unsettling.  I was glad to get back to Bruce's autobiography, BORN TO RUN.  And as I was reading, I would listen to the album he was writing about, how it was put together, the genesis of the lyrics.  I never realized that Bruce wrote most of his songs, that they reflected, over the years, his growth as an individual and his consciousness of the underclass in America.  Of course, I also took a brief nap, made Turkish tea later as I read and waited for Evie to get home.

No worry about dinner because we had decided to go to the Viking Club for dinner.  On Wednesdays, they have a drawing and this week the jackpot was over ten thousand dollars.  We bought ten dollars worth of tickets on Friday, so like the other 50 or so people who were there, we hoped to have the lucky ticket.   No one won however so the jackpot next Wednesday is $10,700 and the odds of winning get better each week.  We were lucky to get a seat at the bar and Evie struck up a conversation with a woman from Jamestown, who spent forty years of her life in the Virgin Islands before returning to Jamestown to live next door to her son.  An interesting gal, with quite a life story.  We ordered wings, reluctantly, but they were quite good, perhaps because they were hot and did not sit around in the kitchen.  We were disappointed that there was no big deal about the drawing and if you had not paid attention, we would not have known it happened.

We were home by 8:00, watched another episode of The Break.  We then broke our pledge to avoid political shows and watched a heated interview between Anderson Cooper from CNN and Kellyanne Orwell, Trump's premier propagandist in chief.  It seems any criticism or story that Trump does not like is fake news or not true.  It's a scary world, straight out of George Orwell's 1984 where "War is Peace...Ignorance is Strength...Freedom is Slavery." I don't know what to believe anymore, what is factual.  What is a fact for one person is fake news for another.  I repeat, a scary world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...