Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Early Morning Calm


8:45
Long Point At 8:45 In The Morning
It's 8:30 and the lake's calm and peaceful, so different from the choppy, wind blown lake of the past two days.  It makes me want to get out and kayak.  It's still cool out, 34º, and gray but the weather predicts some sunshine later in the day before the snow arrives tomorrow night just in time for New Year's Eve.

Tuesday felt like a Wednesday, as I lost track of the days, which can happen when you are retired.  We hung out in the house most of the morning because it was still drizzling outside and cold, not the kind of weather that made you want to put on your hiking boots.  Our yard was a mess of down twigs and branches and I wanted to get out and start cleaning it up but it was to wet in the morning to do it.  So, I decided to drive to Lakewood, to the library, to return a couple of books, then stop at Ryder's Cup, for a coffee.  I sat and read for about a half hour, half listening to a couple of ladies talk, though their tete a tete was interrupted by a 15 minute phone call.  How different a cell phone makes in our life, interrupting whatever we may doing, as if it's a matter of life and death.  Fortunately, I don't have that problem since I rarely get a phone call.

When I got home, 'that Evie,' had my lunch ready, salmon cakes, soup, and a bagel.  She then drove off to Lakewood, to work out at the YMCA, about a ten mile drive.  I ate lunch and started to watch a series I have always heard was great from HBO called Deadwood, a cowboy series set in the 1870's. I hope to stick with it since Longmire  is finished.  I then read, fell asleep for a half hour and woke to a slight drizzle, but not something that kept me inside.  So I went out and spent almost an hour filling up two garbage pails with branches and twigs from our two front trees, and still have more clean up to do today, mostly raking up the smallest twigs.

Monday's Ice Storm
Evie was home around 4:30, and we relaxed until dinner time, as the wind calmed down but the rain continued on and off.  We had the pot roast from the night before.  This time it was tender, as were all the veggies so we were both happy.  We finally had a great pot roast dinner.  We were not sure what to watched so I picked out a fairly predictable movie called THE ITALIAN JOB.  Evie laughed out loud through much of it as the heist was so silly.  We then watched the first episode of a series I had just read about called RIVER.  It's interesting, as the main detective is dealing with the recent death of his partner who seems to reappear at various times as if she is still alive.  We ended the evening watching the honoring of five great American entertainers at the John F. Kennedy Center For The Arts in Washington.  Cicely Tyson, George Lucas and Carol King were among those honored. All have led amazing lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...