Wednesday, December 9, 2015

A Crescent Moon, Starry Morning Sky


6:48
6:49
6:51
7:13
I was up early enough, 6:15, to see the crescent moon, a star filled sky, and feel the cold 35º of morning.  Soon a rosy pink began to glow along the horizon, warming the dark sky, the moon still visible in the sky.  And planes have written designs across the sky.

7:44
Yesterday was almost a wasted day, at least for me, though I woke with energy, ready to get something done or do something.  That, however, soon dissipated as I became comfortable on the couch, with coffee or tea, with a book or computer, and I rarely left there the rest of the day, alas.  To be honest, I felt guilty for sitting around doing nothing around noon, so I went out for a walk through the woods, to salve my conscience.  The paths are now open, a result of our neighbor doing some cutting with his chain saw, and my weed whacking early this past fall. The Victoria/Woodlawn woods are now ready for walking or cross country skiing when the snow comes.  And I did mange to do one more thing.  I put together a quick no knead bread recipe, so I am going to bake it later this morning. I also had hopes of making a Sunday bean dish from the NYTimes but we were missing the beans, orange juice, and pineapples juice, not exactly the typical ingredients for a bean dish.

Evie, however, had plans for the day, and just as I was sitting down to lunch, a bagel and ramen soup and another episode of Longmire, she took off for Lakewood, hitting numerous stores like TJ Maxx and Wegman's before getting her hair trimmed.  She was gone until about 5:00, just as I rose from my couch to go for another short walk in the darkened late afternoon.  I never made it because I jumped in the car and helped unload the groceries and bags from shopping.

Scallops Provencal A La Evie
We had what would seem to be an easy dinner but it always takes more time than we think.  Evie, after putting away the groceries, put a sear on a dozen scallops, then began a shallot, garlic, lemon, butter and vermouth sauce for scallops.  Once that was ready, we put the pasta in the boiling water, and she made a salad as the pasta cooked.  I cleaned up the kitchen, as she put the pasta into the pan with the scallops and sauce, and let the scallops marinate for a few minutes.  The sauce, scallops, and pasta were fabulous, as scallops are fast becoming another one of our favorites meals.  We watched the news for an hour, listening to even Fox News criticize Donald Trump, and for once I found myself agreeing with Charles Krauthammer.  Amazing.  We then caught up on the series The Affair, have two more weeks to go.  I am enjoying my Joe Nesbo novel, set in Oslo, Norway.  I had forgotten how good he is.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...