Friday, December 11, 2015

A Slow Rising Sun


7:24
7:25
What a luxury to be able to get up in the morning, be in no hurry, other than to wait for the sun to rise, the day begin.  I am eternally grateful.  It's a partly cloudy morning, with bright skies to the south, clear to the north, a balmy 46º.

Yesterday was an easy day, beginning with breakfast with the boys.  It may be my last of 2015 because we are off to Virginia next Thursday.  And by the beginning of 2016, a couple of the guys will head to Florida till April.  Beaching it sounds good.  We had our usual discussions, revolving around the Chautauqua Institution controversy, our health, and our children and grandchildren. Afterwards, I drove off to Ziebart in Fluvanna, a town on the southeastern side of the lake, to take my car in for a remote starter.  Evie picked me up and we decided to drive to Tops, do some shopping before coming home.  It's a store in Jamestown, in a depressing area, but convenient if we are in that part of the city.  We were home by 10:30, ready for the day.

Woods Of Victoria
We did not do much the rest of the day. For me, I finally gave in to reality.  My Mac Air has been acting up for months and I have been waiting for a new version.  Well, I finally gave up on it and bought a new Mac Air on line, from B &  H photos in NYC.  They supposedly guaranteed next day delivery but after I ordered it, they sent me an email saying it would not get here till Monday.  I am not happy, thinking I would be working with it today. Not good at delayed gratification. They are usually super reliable and helpful; we have ordered a couple of things from them, and returned them with no problems.  We are going to call them this morning to see what's up, why the delay.  Now I know...Western New York is described as rural, not part of same day delivery.

A Sad, Neglected Garage
Woodlawn Run
For Evie, the major production of the day was learning to use her new Food Saver.  After carefully reading the directions and making a mistake or two, she got the knack of it and easily stored four packs of chicken thighs for later in the month.  This is going to save us lots of money! It was getting nice out so I walked the Victoria/Woodlawn woods, always easy and interesting, just a half hour unless I tarry.

I had lunch of leftover pasta and a salad and watched Longmire.  I am coming to the end of the series alas.  The rest of the day was a blur, reading, napping, watching some TV, things like that, our usual. I called Ziebart at 3:00, wondering why my car was not ready and found out they were having a devil of time putting the starter in because it was a new Subaru, with different wiring.  They finally called at 4:30 and we drove over, learned how it worked, practiced and drove home.  We will now have a toasty car this winter when we venture out on a cold, snowy day.

Around 6:00, we both worked in the kitchen because we were having a wok dinner.  I am usually the cook for this and Evie is the sous chef.  Earlier, Evie had already sauteed the chicken and mushrooms, so I flash cooked the broccoli, onions, celery, and beans spouts, added hot bean sauce, the the chicken and mushrooms, and finished it off with a sesame, soy, and corn starch sauce.  We put it over rice and had a dinner equal to an Asian restaurant in our area.  We both loved it because it always seems like such a healthy dinner, with all the vegetables.

We then decided to watch the second season of Broadchurch, a British detective series, set in the town of Broadchurch.  We liked the first year and the second year of the series builds on the first year, so it should be watched first.  We binged on three episodes before it was time to head up to bed to read.  I like it, Evie not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...