Tuesday, December 15, 2015

A Morning Of Changing Skies

7:22
7:25
8:10
8:15
Sitting here in the darkness of morning, the lake just starting to become visible, listening to the wind howl, the only sound of the morning, other than Morning Joe.  And I am writing on my new Mac Air, excited by the difference between it and my old one.  It's like going from dial up to wifi! It's so fast an the battery lasts up to 12 hours instead of an hour on my old machine.  Today, the weather will be partly cloudy early then wet, windy, and overcast the rest of the day, not the kind of day to be outside.

Yesterday at least for me, was taken up with the often painful, ridiculously difficult setting up of my new Mac Air.  What should have been easy took four or five calls to Apple before things were finally settled, around 4:00 in the afternoon.  My Mac arrived, however, about  9:00 in the morning.  The problem revolved around Time Machine, which saves all my data a couple of times a day.  If your computer is wiped clean, Time Machine can restore your documents and applications.  Sounds easy right.  Well, the first time I did it as advised by Apple, it stopped mid stream, saying my old computer had to be on.  So, I called again, and did something different called migration.  I was migrating my data from one machine to another, or from Time Machine to my new Mac.  Well, at first that didn't work because my Time Machine was not working properly.  We finally figured that out and started the process of downloading the data to my new Mac Air.  It took about four hours of agony, like watching soup come to a boil, as the time wound down slowly until, Viola, my new Mac Air was ready.  My nerves were shot by 4:00, as I anticipated this kind of a day, on the phone, nothing working they way it should.  And though I knew the end result would be my Mac Air up and running, I still was anxious and up tight though the entire process.

We also had the cable guy stop by, to upgrade our wifi speed and to bundle our phone with the cable and wifi, saving us 35 bucks a month, for at least a year.  Should have done it five years ago and saved but I was too lazy.  Just one of the small ways I could save money.  Meanwhile, Evie took it all in stride and kept me cool.

While my Mac was downloading, I had to get out of the house, so I drove to Mayville, to pick up prescriptions for Evie and stopped at Tops to shop for a few things for dinner for the next couple of days.  They had Sugardale hams on sale for half price, so I picked up a 7 pounder for 13 bucks.  Hard to beat the price and it's good until mid February in the refrigerator.  I also stopped at our butcher, at the Lighthouse, picked up four pork chops for dinner, a pound and a half of pork loin, cut into one inch cubes for Three Sisters Stew we are going to make and take to Jill's on Thursday.  And I could not help picking up a sub sandwich, mixed meats with lots of baloney, the way Evie loves it.

After all the storm and stress of the day, it felt good to sit down and relax for an hour, late afternoon, with a glass of white wine, listening to Julie Mason on Potus radio and playing with our devices before dinner.  Around 6:00, Evie took to the kitchen, fried up the pork chops, put them in the oven, with the baked potatoes and by 7:00, we had dinner, pork chops, baked potatoes, salad, brussell sprouts and of course, applesauce a must for Evie.  We watched another penultimate episode, this time of The Affair, and things are getting steamy and complicated.  How they are going to end it, tie things together in one more episode is difficult to imagine.  We then binge watched a couple of episodes of The Good Wife, ridiculous at times but we keep watching so it must have something we like.

I am continuing to enjoy The Sellout by Paul Beatty, a book that could only be written by an African American because every cliche, stereotype, or allusion to blacks is included in this egregiously political incorrect  but very funny and immensely well written satire.  No wonder it's on many 2015 top ten book lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...