Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Waiting For Daylight, Tidying Up The Yard


7:45
Back to normal, up at 6:00 and Evie sleeps in.  I forgot how dark it is at 6:00, even now at 6:50, but not for long as Daylight Savings Time kicks in this weekend.  All I can see are lights twinkling across Bemus Bay, as I sit here in our house with the only light my computer screen.  I stepped outside and it's still relatively warm though the cool weather is on the way.  Yesterday, however, was warm and humid, the high near 70, unusual for this time of the year.  It's not going to last as we have the possibility of snow on Saturday, the first of the year.
Garnet Japanese Maple
Yesterday was another busy day outdoors, partly because of the fine weather but also the forecast of rain over the next few days, so we wanted to get our yard work done before the inclement weather.  I spent a good part of the morning with Evie raking leaves (no power blowers for us). They tend to pile in bushes, along the edges of the lawns, lots on our parking areas because of the willow tree.  So we both worked up sweats, raking and piling them into garbage cans before taking them up to the the organic leaf/wood area.  I think I made three trips during the day, with cans stuffed with leaves and twigs from the past two weeks.

I made up some tuna for lunch, on a bagel, no soup as the fridge is empty, so we decided we needed me to go to Wegman's because we both wanted meatloaf for dinner.  On the way, I stopped at the library to return two books, both overdue because I forgot to return them before our trip East.  I also stopped at Ryder's Cup for a coffee, said hi to Donna Nelson at the Bookstore.  I then deposited a check from the State of New York, a trifle for our high property taxes. Then onward to Home Depot, for a squirrel proof sunflower seed container and, for Evie, a snow broom for our car.  Our friend Mac, in Vermont, had one and Evie loved it, making it easy to clear snow off your car.   Now we have everything.  O, yea, I also stopped at Wegman's, picking up some of the staples we always need, potatoes, onions, milk, eggs, salad and Diet Ginger Ale.

When I returned home, I was tired for some reason despite my having slept in.  I tried to take a nap but noticed it was clouding up outside and I wanted to cut both lawns again, as more leaves had fallen and there were so many leaves from yesterday that they needed to be mulched again.  So, I fired up the mower and once again cut both lawns, just before the rain stared about 4:15.  I hope this takes care of the yards for another week, when we will have to cut and mulch probably one more time.
Late Tuesday Afternoon Clouds
We enjoyed a bottle of one of our new wines, a fruity white, nicely chilled and listened to our new favorite station on Sirius Radio called POTUS.  Earlier, Evie had put the meatloaf together, no fancy new recipe, just the old tried and true on the Lipton Onion Soup mix.  Just before eating, I called our son Tom who lives in Kansas City to see if he was going to the World Series game.  He had two tickets and was going to take his son Nick, what a great experience.

Dinner was great, broccoli,  baked potatoes, salad and moist but firm meat loaf, with ketchup of course, as we watched Stewart and Colbert, waiting for the World Series to start.  It was an exciting game if you were a KC fan as they totally dominated, winning 10-0, their first shut out of the series, making tonight's game, also in KC, for all the marbles.  The winner wins the World Series title.  Go KC.  We didn't get to bed till 11:30 because of the game, but it was fun to watch the game, especially the excitement in the stadium.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...