Tuesday, October 7, 2014

A Changing Morning Sky

6:50
7:58
Osprey Sighting
Up at 6:40, to darkness, a few twinkling lights towards Bemus, and 50º.  At 7:50, the sky is still a slate blue but off towards Wells Bay, the sky has opened to blue sky and light, moving slowly north towards our home.  Amazing shift of light which I hope to capture with my camera.

Yesterday was not much fun for the beginning of the week.  I had to  drive into Erie at 9:00, for a  CT Scan at 10:30.  The test itself takes only ten minutes, mostly routine, so I was out of St. Vincent's by 11:00.  I then had two hours to kill before my appointment at the Honda dealer for an oil change and check out.  I stopped at Dicks, Gander Mountain but was bored with shopping, so I decided to kill time by having lunch at Wegman's.  I didn't even shop, just ate in their cafe and read my book.  At 1:00, I drove to the Honda dealer but there was an accident of some sort near the dealer, so traffic was backed up and I waited to get to the dealer for at least fifteen minutes.  My oil change took only forty five minutes but the Wifi at the dealer did not work and noone who worked there seemed interested in finding a way to make it work.  I didn't get home till 2:30 after a somewhat frustrating day.

Meanwhile, Evie was not feeling great, but went off to Wegman's anyways, to shop for the next couple of days and then came home and put together our dinner, chicken and broccoli stir fry, before collapsing on the couch for the rest of the afternoon, wrapped in a blanket, watching TV.  The only action during the rest of the afternoon was the arrival of Morrie, the septic man.  He checks out the system, cleans the filter and makes sure the motor is working properly.  This is the first time I hired him and he is an interesting and talkative guy.  He has a truck outfitted just for this task and his wife comes along to help him out.  Interesting couple.  Unfortunately, Morrie had just been forced to retire from his job after 50 years, so they are going through quite a change in their circumstances.

We had an easy dinner because Evie had put it together in the morning, so we had the stir fry and watched TV until 10:00.  We continue to catch up on our programs, watching the second episode of Homeland, then Bill Maher, which was great.  He had a spirited discussion of what our attitude should be towards the Muslim world, whether it was racist or bigoted to call Islam a threat to our way of life because of some of the ideas that the true believers hold.  Tempers flared and the panel of actor Ben Affleck, NYT columnist Nicholas Kristof,  philosopher/atheist Sam Harris and Republican Michael Steele got quite passionate about their views. A good way to end the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...