Thursday, October 30, 2014

A Whiff Of Winter

7:16
7:39
A winter sky at the moment, 7:30, almost haunting, Halloween scary, with its shades of gray and light, and it's chilly, 41ยบ,  preparing us for the snow forecast for late Saturday, early Sunday.  Yes, fall is fading.  It's Thursday but all my breakfast buddies are out of town or busy, so it looks like yogurt, blueberries, and Evie's granola mix, my usual breakfast.
A City Of Canadian Geese
Yesterday was a bit different, as we threw in a movie late afternoon, a change of pace as it were. Most of the day, however, was typical.  We were both up early, enjoying a morning of leisure.  It was nice out though it had rained some during the night, but I decided to walk the Woodlawn/Victoria loop, an easy 30 minute walk through our changing woods, leaves now covering the path, trees bareboned for the most part, woods open and clear, as the brush fades away.  When I came in, I put together my artisan no knead bread recipe, flour, oats, flax, and quinoa, left it to rise and will bake it this morning. Evie was working upstairs, on our bedroom, moving the summer clothes out, the winter in.  I decided to do more work in the yard, raking and mulching the leaves from behind my garage, a pain because they bunch up against the garage wall if not raked, allowing water to enter garage floor. I managed to take two more cans of leaves away, worked up a sweat again, which gives you some idea of the weather.
Kayak Afternoon
Shells In The Fall
Around noon, the lake was calm, slate like, so I had to kayak, paddling up to the campground, then over to Long Point where, of course, the wind picked up and I had a small battle to get back to Sandy Bottom, then home. A solitary boat anchored off  of Victoria, the same boat for the past couple of autumns.  I have gotten to know the fisherman, who always tells me to say 'hi to the Mrs.'  When I walked in the house, the smells of lunch filled the house, onions and potatoes frying.  With a couple of eggs, I had a hearty lunch.
The Loneliness Of A Solitary Fisherman
Our afternoon went by quickly, some reading, a nap, then showers before driving to the Lakewood Cinema to watch Gone Girl, with six other people, all white haired retirees like us.  I had read the book when it came out so I knew the story but  we were both riveted by the film, the complicated story even if I had already read the book.  Ben Affleck, the husband accused of murdering his wife, was believable, his wife, a wacko for sure but convincing as well.  It's a good movie, worth going to see, with a few graphic sexual scenes that might bother some older viewers, those used to the likes of Pillow Talk, with Rock Hudson and Doris Day in the 1960's.

We were home by 6:30, relaxed with a beer as Evie talked with our good friend Vi Buck, catching up.  We had leftover meat loaf sandwiches for dinner, perfect, as we prepared for the World Series by watching Jon Stewart.  We stayed up to the very end of the game, disappointed of course by the Royals loss but admiring of the great pitching by Madison Bumgarner.  The tension in a final game like this, where one pitch, one swing, a great play or one error can make the difference is palpable.  I thought, like the announcers, that the great play by second baseman, Joe Panik, was the play of the game. We were in  bed at 11:30, wondering if we would be able to get to sleep after the anxiety and tension of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...